birthday

"Babe, what time are you getting home?" I said to my husband on the phone, quickly shoving a cake into the oven.

"Fuck, maybe about 7? I'll clock out at about 6:30 if I can. Why?" Katsuki's voice said through the speaker. I looked over at Kaimetsu, who was furiously mixing a bowl of frosting, splattering the substance onto his face in the process. I sweatdropped and looked back at my phone.

  "No reason. Just make sure to come home safe, alright?"

  "Yeah. I'll try."

  "Love you, stupid."

  "Love you, idiot."

  He hung up, and I let out a breath of relief, turning back to my child. I placed my hands on my hips, grinning.

  "Alright, kiddo, you hear all that? We've gotta make sure your dad has the best birthday ever tonight. He gets home at around 7, so whip that frosting like you mean it!"

  Kaimetsu saluted, E/C eyes set with determination. "Aye, aye, mommy!"

I snorted and bent down, wiping off a smear of frosting with my thumb. "I'm counting on you, Kai. Mommy's going to do some last minute preparations before daddy gets home, so can you take care of frosting the cake when it's done for me?"

"Yes ma'am!" Kaimetsu exclaimed, eyes shining. I chuckled. He really wanted his dad's birthday to be perfect. I stood back up and smiled at him before turning around, grabbing streamers and a banner. I had painted a large portrait of Katsuki onto the banner, with the words 'happy birthday!' printed onto it. Kaimetsu's handprints were bordering the large paper, with a tiny smiley face finger-painted on top.

I grabbed a stepladder and hopped onto it, starting to hang the banner onto the rafters of the ceiling. I centered it perfectly, smiling happily, before hearing a cry from the kitchen. My eyes widened and I quickly jumped off the ladder, rushing to my son's aid. His nose was dripping red, and tears were streaming down his face.

"What happened, baby?!"

"I got frosting in my nose!" Kaimetsu wailed, pointing to the bowl of red frosting that was now on the kitchen counter. I relaxed, sighing in relief as I grabbed a tissue and handed it to him.

"Baby, you've got to be more careful when it comes to this stuff, okay? Blow into this."

Kaimetsu blew his nose into the tissue, still slightly crying, as I hurriedly grabbed a pipe and started to decorate the cake. I glanced up at the clock, which read 6:50. I muttered a curse and continued to decorate the cake, steadily but rushed. After five minutes, I finished with a sigh, looking down at the cake.

It was similar to the first one I had ever made Katsuki, with grenades on it and small explosions. But this time, the fondant Katsuki had a broad smile on his face, and he looked significantly happier. I smiled softly down at the cake, then jumped when I heard a key turn in the lock. I whisked Kaimetsu into my arms, quickly using a bubble to turn off the lights.

"Stay quiet." I whispered, shushing my son. He nodded, and I heard the door open. I heard a sigh and the sound of keys clinking, and my heart thumped with anticipation.

"Oi, anyone home?" I heard Katsuki say, and I grinned as he reached for the light switch. The lights turned on, and Kaimetsu and I took a deep breath.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!" We yelled, eyes sparkling. Katsuki shouted in surprise, eyes widening once he saw us. He grinned, taking off his mask.

"What's all this, you guys?" He chuckled, ruffling Kaimetsu's hair and kissing me on the cheek.

"It's your birthday stuff, daddy!" Kaimetsu cheered, eyes shining. "Mommy and I did this all by ourselves!"

"Ahh, really now? You two did a pretty good job, huh?" Katsuki said with amusement, his own crimson eyes shining. Kaimetsu nodded vigorously and I chuckled, staring up at my husband lovingly.

"It's not much, but I hope you like the stuff we made."

"You kidding? Just having you two with me is the best damn present I could have." Katsuki chuckled, cupping my face in his hands and kissing me. I turned red, about to protest that our son was literally in my arms, when he pulled away with a smile. "Alright, now where's the junk food?"

"Over here! Over here!" Kaimetsu shouted, jumping out of my arms and pointing at the cake excitedly. Katsuki's eyes trailed along the cake, and soon he turned to me, an amused look on his face.

"Redesign, huh?"

"Well, you've graduated from Brain Zero over the past few years." I laughed, eyes sparkling. "Go ahead, dig in."

Katsuki grinned and grabbed the cake knife, cutting the cake into regular sized slices. We sat at the table the whole night, laughing and retelling old stories we'd heard before a thousand times as we ate the cake. A little later, Kaimetsu fell asleep, cake still on his plate. He had a peaceful expression on his face as he snored, fork in hand. Katsuki and I exchanged looks and chuckled, getting up. I gently lifted Kaimetsu out of his chair, cradling him in my arms as we walked to his room. I set him down on his bed, watching his chest heave up and down as he slept.

"I love you, Y/N. Thank you for doing all this for me." Katsuki murmured suddenly, wrapping his arms around my waist. I laughed quietly and leaned up, kissing him softly.

"You deserve it, Kat. Happy birthday."