Chapter 20

The competition came before they knew it.

William had them do their example– When The Day Met The Night by Panic! At The Disco– and everyone got even more nervous, because they were flawless.

The first two were nervous, a straight couple that obviously weren't going to make it past high school. They didn't have any chemistry.

The next were two friends, they did okay.

Kurt was beginning to get bored until Charlie and Eva were called up. He sat up in his seat, suddenly interested again.

Charlie started.

I know I stand in line, until you think you have the time
To spend an evening with me

Kurt felt himself smile. He already knew how the song was going to end.

Eva took the next verse.

And if we go someplace to dance, I know that there's a chance
You won't be leaving with me

Then they sang together.

And afterwards we drop into a quiet little place
And have a drink or two
And then I go and spoil it all
By saying something stupid like "I love you"

The way Charlie looked at Eva when he sang "And though it's just a line to you, for me it's true and never seemed so right before" had Kurt setting a hand over his heart, because young love was so cute.

I love you
I love you

The song ended, and they looked over at each other. Charlie gently leaned in, kissing her, just like Kurt knew he would.

"I love you," he whispered.

Eva giggled, nudging her nose against Charlie's. "I love you," she returned, kissing him again.

Kurt may or may not have had tears in his eyes. It was so sweet. He'd grown up seeing his friends have moments like that, seeing them fall in and out of love, but he'd never been able to do it, to have that high school sweetheart. He had a high school tormenter that ruined his future relationships with everyone.

But now things were different, and people like him– people in the community– could have those experiences.