Chapter 22

"Hey, Mr. Hummel, how'd you get those scars on your shoulder?"

Kurt froze. He was wearing sleeves. "How'd I get what?"

"I saw you at the Lima Bean, you had these really bad scars."

Fuck, fuck, fuckity-fuck.

"It's nothing."

"It didn't look like nothing. It looked like they still hurt, I'm worried."

He shook his head. "They don't hur– OW!"

He clapped a hand to his shoulder, whipping around as he saw the boy right behind him, clearly having just poked his shoulder. "What was that for?" Kurt demanded.

"They clearly hurt," he said stubbornly.

"Hey, leave him alone," Blaine spoke up, giving the boy a look. He scowled and went back to his seat.

"Easy for you to say, you know what happened," he mumbled.

"I don't, actually." Blaine looked at them all, frustrated. "What has gotten into you guys? You've never even asked me what happened to Tracy's father, or why I don't wear a ring, but you can't seem to leave him alone."

"You're not famous, Mr. Anderson," someone said.

"Wait, what? I thought your husband died," another spoke up. "Did he not?"

"Yeah, Tracy always uses past tense, so I didn't ask because I thought he was dead," Eva said, frowning.

Blaine blinked, looking around at them. It was clear they'd all been thinking the same thing. "Oh. I thought you were just being respectful."

"Wait, what happened to him, then?"

"Are you divorced?"

"What about the past tense?"

Kurt laughed. "Nice going with that one, Anderson." But his eyes thanked him.

Blaine chuckled too, glad he could help him. "Yeah, now I have to deal with this."