Chapter 27

Kurt was the first one awake, only getting dressed in a tank top and jeans before heading out to make breakfast.

After a while, there was a small yawn and the sound of short footsteps. "Goo' morning, Mr. Kurt," Tracy said to him sleepily.

"Good morning, Tracy. Do you like pancakes?"

That had her awake. "Pancakes!"

He chuckled. "That's a yes, then."

She sat on a stool at the counter in his kitchen. "Can I ask you something, Mr. Kurt?"

"Well, first of all, you can just call me Kurt," he told her. "And second, of course you can."

"What happened to your shoulder?"

He glanced back at it. "The butterfly?"

"The red thingys." He figured it was. He just didn't want to accidentally explain if she'd been asking about the tattoo.

"Oh. They're very old, but I knew this boy a long time ago and he was nice, and he liked me. He was my boyfriend, but then he turned out to be not so nice and hurt me, so we broke up. I don't see him anymore, but one of the things he did left those there."

She thought. "Like Daddy?"

He nodded. "Kinda like your daddy, yeah."

"Papa's not gonna hurt you," she told him certainly. "Papa seems nice and he is nice."

Kurt smiled. "I know your Papa's not gonna hurt me. I trust him."

"Morning," Blaine's voice said quietly.

He looked over, smiling at him. "Perfect timing, breakfast's almost ready."