prologue

The giggles that left the brunettes mouth had been so innocent and childish. It had caught the attention of most girls and boys alike. He had only ever looked at one person.  Jeno was only interested in one person.

Jinsoo

Jinsoo was the prince of Jeno's year, making the brunette lowly scum compared to the squeaky clean reputation that the elder boy held so proudly.

Jeno had been the tender age of eleven when he came to terms with his sexuality. The young child had not had the courage to open up to his mother and father, in fear of homophobic abuse. His parents had never truly expressed a hate towards gay people or lesbians, but it had left the confused boy in a tight place.

The brunette had been eating with Jisung and Mark, his two closest friends. They had supported Jeno through every turning point in his life to date, leaving the child feeling blessed. The fourteen year old had continued laughing and smiling when a familiar face stopped at their table.

"Lee Jeno. Would you go on a date with me?" Jinsoo's words had been so clear, yet the teen had not come to terms with the question, finding it random...out of the blue.

"I guess," He had said, his heart pounding so loudly in his ears as the happy, nearly fifteen year old, walked away from their table calmly, leaving Jeno and his friends looking at each other.

They were all equally as shocked as the boy who was to go on a date with his childhood crush.

If only he had known that daydreams never lasted long....

☆★☆

Two years had gone so fast for the group of friends, which had been added to.

Jeno and Jinsoo had become the power couple of the school. This made the pressure to stay together increase, though the pair seemed rather happy in each others company anyway. Or that's what everyone thought.

Jisung had been unhappy with the adjustment, saying that 'He didn't like how he treated Jeno.' Though he was young, he had been observant, always hesitant to trust people who messed with his friends. It had been that observation that had lead him to believe that Jeno wasn't as happy with Jinsoo as he had led on.

Mark had been so happy to befriend the teen, that it had nearly shattered Jeno's heart. How could he tell his friend, whom he had shared everything with, that Jinsoo had started to be rougher than 'normal' boyfriends should be?

The small things like a pat on the back had become so aggressive. Or the time when he had been invited to a party with the older boy. It was a school kid, offering drugs and drinking like crazy. But Jinsoo had joined in, trying to make Jeno smoke. The brunette had originally thought that it was his consumption of alcohol that was making Jinsoo act such a way, but after viewing the full beer bottle, he realised, Jinsoo was trying to pressure him into things.

The night had ended with no more incidences when Jeno had taken a drag of the cigarette, making his parents question the smell.

All those small actions, the tripping, pulling of the hair or the tight squeezing of the shoulder, it wasn't affection, it was the start of a toxic relationship.

☆★☆

It was a weird sensation really. The feeling of the other boy's nails digging into his shoulder blades, drawing beads of blood that rolled hesitantly down the teenager's back.

The muffled squeals that left Jeno's mouth were sounds that he wasn't proud of.
It had been this way for years now. The eighteen year old boy, fearful of Jinsoo, who had him in a tough situation.

Having paid for his sister's hospital bills when the young child had been admitted to the institute for an incurable and an unknown disease, his boyfriend threatened to pull out of the arrangement. His parents were unable to afford such expenses.

They loved Jinsoo, thinking that God had sent him down as Jeno's guardian angel. The thought made the brunette's stomach twist in knots.

Mark, who had grown so close to the boy since Jeno had started dating Jinsoo four years ago, could see no flaws with the teenager, thinking that Jeno was lucky to find such a decent young man.

There was only one last hope. Jisung. The youngest of the friends had automatically seen the toxic relationship approaching from the moment they had begun dating. He had confronted the brunette boy multiple times, pleading with the elder to let him know.

It had warmed Jeno's heart, knowing he had someone there if he needed it, but he just couldn't talk to Jisung. He would be killed....literally.

☆★☆

College had started months ago, and the couple had moved into an apartment block together, much to Jinsoo's dismay that it wasn't a secluded house. The twenty year olds had chosen the same course.

Psychology.

It was ironic really, how this man, who lived to hurt the small brunette had landed himself in the course.

Mark had chosen music production, and Jisung had decided that he wanted to take his natural talent of art and study animation. It was a topic that the younger boy had always considered studying.

They were lucky that the college offered all those courses. It was as if God knew...Jeno would have died had his friends not been there.

Thank you so much for reading the prologue, I hope you enjoy the story.

Aofa