twenty one

"Do you think that by insulting me we'll get the mark we want in this project?" Jinsoo hissed, having already been through an hour of back and forth bickering with Jaemin.

"But that's the thing, Soo, I'm not insulting you, I'm truly just describing what I've picked up on." The younger of the two didn't even try stopping his mouth from running once a certain ravenette had started it.

"You were much nicer before you spoke, isn't that a shame?"

"A shame? No way, sir, 'cause at least I don't sit there shit talking my way through life when you have had everything handed to you on a silver platter," Jaemin mumbled, fiddling with the pen that he had been writing with.

He twirled his blonde locks between his fingers on the other hand while examining the six pages he had worked on.

A small groan of displeasure fell from Jinsoo's mouth, but there really wasn't much he could do with a sharp tongue like Jaemin's.

Jeno had opted to stay in the safety and comfort of his room, but that was his excuse to get some alone time. Time where he didn't have to think up comebacks in his and Jinsoo's pointless battles. Time where he could stop pretending he was okay.

He was drained to say the least, and this partner project was really helping that. Jinsoo has been up late for days with Jaemin, and by the time the older had come back after seeing Jaemin off, he was too tired to deal with his boyfriend.

It was a relief really.

He released what could only be interpreted as an irritated sigh when the two adults in the other room started to battle with meaningless words again.

"Well, Jaemin, if you keep rolling those eyes of yours, you'll eventually find a brain....if you have one," the ravenette yelled angrily before slamming his hands against the table, face flushing red in frustration.

"But really, we all know that I'm smarter than you."

Jinsoo huffed once again, running his hand through his hair wearily.

"I wouldn't say that now. All I'm saying is that a closed mind doesn't mean it'll come with a closed mouth, and that's your problem. You talk so much bullshit that it goes in one ear and out the other!"

This shut Jaemin up swiftly as he looked deeply into the older's eyes, seeing as each emotion filtered at some point.

Anger, sadness, fear, hurt.

He couldn't decipher the confusing truth as to why Jinsoo was abusive, and why Jeno would choose to stay with him.

It was true, he hadn't ever been put in a situation such as this one, nor did he have any knowledge of abusive relationships, but his goal was clear...he would help Jeno no matter what.

"Let's leave it here for today," the blonde murmured while gathering the scattered pages. "Thanks for letting us work on it here, Jinsoo."

The said boy merely grumbled under his breath as he waved off the younger's polite manners.

"Anyway, I'm staying at Hyuck's place tonight. See yourself out?" He asked, already stepping towards the door.

Jaemin hummed in agreement, his overgrown nails tapping a satisfying rhythm against the books he held close.

"Of course."

As the door closed, Jaemin trailed towards a familiar bedroom, the same one he had seen Jeno enter only an hour or so prior.

He walked in after receiving a reply to his knock.

"Hey, Jeno. Just making sure you're okay to be here alone for the night before I head out?" He mumbled, feeling a blush present itself on his cheeks.