twenty seven

"Honey, I'm just so glad you're finally home. Your sister has missed you so much," his mother hummed while placing some locks of hair behind her son's ear only for it to fall over his eyes again.

"About that," Jeno started while holding the other's hand gently. "When will we be able to visit her?"

His mother looked away for a moment in thought, her mind doing the calculations of their schedule. "Hopefully tomorrow. I know she'll kill you with hugs and kisses when she sees you."

The young chuckled, knowing that the statement would definitely be proven as true.

"That's good," he mumbled tiredly while falling back into the mattress. "'Cause I miss her so much."

Within seconds, soft snores came from the brunette's slightly parted lips.

His mother giggled at the sight of her son, only seeing the little kid he used to see.

"Rest well, Love," she whispered while tucking him into bed and placing a soft kiss on his temple. "Rest well."

She turned away from the boy, listening as the door clicked shut.

As she turned back to face the stairs, she was startled to see Jinsoo wearing a grim look, his unimpressed expression warning the woman.

"What has you growing like that, Soo?" She quietly asked, wrapping her hand around his waist to lead him towards Jeno's room.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just heard your husband's news. I'm just so happy for him."

The middle-aged woman smiled with pride whilst nodding happily.

"The promotion, ay? Well don't tell Jeno about it yet, this is huge."

"You got a what?" Jeno yelled while jumping up and down in a childish way.

"I got the promotion, Jeno. We can finally pay for her bills ourselves!"

Jeno ran to his father, embracing him warmly on the below-freezing day.

"I'm so happy, Dad. Well done." Literal tears streamed down his face as his chest puffed out with pride as his father hugged him back.

"Our little girl will be okay."

The four shared a drink together to celebrate the promotion, but that didn't stop Jinsoo from frowning as he saw hope glimmer in the younger's eyes.

As they were packing up, ready to walk to the hospital, Jinsoo pulled his boyfriend aside, bringing him in close by the collar.

"Don't think that this makes anything better," he hissed angrily before kneeing Jeno in the gut, causing a gasp of breathlessness to escape through the younger's mouth. "'Cause this doesn't change anything."

Jeno sucked in a quick breath in order to counter Jinsoo's words.

"Once they have gotten enough money for her, we won't need you. Think of that when you're sent away in shame."

At this, Jinsoo slammed the other against the wall, chuckling sadistically as a wheeze followed. He then leaned in closer, placing a kiss on Jeno's lips before throwing him to the ground.

"Watch what you say to me."

His parents decided to take Jinsoo out on a walk so that he could have a few moments alone with his sister. So there Jeno sat, his hand tracing the outline of her face as her joyful eyes became dimmer as the night went on.

"I love you, Jeno. Please don't leave me again," she whispered in a raspy voice while tears trickled down her face.

She felt the pain of loss as her older brother shook his head in refusal.

"I have to."

It wasn't a good enough answer for her, proven when she cling onto the older tightly, refusing to let him go in fear of him never looking back to see her.

As she hugged him, she noticed him wince in clear discomfort while he tried the worm his way from her grip.

"What happened?" She quietly questioned, making sure no one was around before tugging at the hem of his shirt, only for her hand to be smacked away.

"Nothing happened," he insisted while shuffling out of her reach.

"..."