twenty four

"Guys, that's why he won't leave him," Jaemin quietly explained to Renjun and Jisung whilst leaning across the table and tucking his arms beneath the table. "But even though I thought through the situation all night, I seriously can't see a reasonable solution."

Renjun hummed in agreement, seeming to be processing this step in the right direction, though Jisung, on the other hand, seemed to find that for each step forward, there were ten back.

Yes, it was relieving to finally know why his friend was like this, and why he had stuck to scum like Jinsoo, but the young pinkette felt agitated as he stood stranded, watching from afar and having nothing to help.

"Any solutions here?" Jaemin asked slightly louder, though not loud enough for Jinsoo, who sat with Mark, Chenle and Donghyuck, to hear what they were discussing.

All the pair could do was shake their heads as they began to fall into a hopeless pit of disappointment.

As the brief period of silence drifted over the table, Jaemin found his eyes straying to Jinsoo, though what he hadn't expected was for the older to be staring at him straight in the eye.

As quickly as he had looked at the ravenette, he looked away, initiating a startled eye-contact with Renjun who had seemed to have missed the whole exchange.

"What's wrong?" The Chinese whispered, leaning in to meet Jaemin halfway as the younger replied with a short, 'he keeps looking."

Renjun side-eyed the said boy, he too startled when he found the older standing from his seat, and walking swiftly towards the trio.

Jisung tensed, his whole arm shaking as Jinsoo took a less-than-subtle seat to Jaemin's left.

"Sorry I wasn't in class, Jaem," He started, this sinister tone lacing the words. Jinsoo proceeded to look around the table, sending the other two a small but fake smile. "I was busy....Anyway, did you hand in the project?" He continued. With each word he leaned in closer to Jaemin, making the younger lean back to get away from him.

"Of course."

"Hmmm. Well then, I guess that means you will no longer have anything to do with me and my boyfriend?" He questioned with a slight tilt of the head. "Am I wrong?"

To say Jaemin was seething wouldn't describe the fury he felt when face-to-face with the abuser.

"And why would that be, Jinsoo? Feel threatened? A need to hide that boyfriend of yours?" Jaemin threw back, he too tilting his head condescendingly in battle.

Renjun grabbed onto Jaemin's hand beneath the table, a warning to tell him to back down until a better plan could be concocted. But of course Jaemin felt no compulsion to follow the elder boy's orders.

"'Cause you fucking shoul-"

"JINSOO! GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!" A raging Jeno yelled from the door of the eating area.

His arms were folded to show his lack of amusement as eyes from all around the room landed on him.

He didn't even seem fazed when he saw that his boyfriend was arguing with Na Jaemin once again

Jeno stormed over to the table, sighing in a relieved manner when the eyes that once followed him soon went back to their own business - except for his friends'.

"You are sick, mister. You had a temperature last night, and I don't care that you've cooled off or whatever. Go home, rest, and I'll give you the notes for the rest of the classes," Jeno instructed, his submissive side finally dispersing as a strong and independent young adult shone through.

Usually Jaemin would struggle with tearing his eyes away from his neighbour, although at that moment, he locked eyes with Jisung then Renjun, nodding in confirmation.

This could be their chance to talk to him as a group, without unwanted ears hearing....