twenty eight

"How do you know if you like someone?" Jaemin asked while looking into the blue sky.

This had been the first time in weeks since the snow shown mercy, and the two friends decided it would be well spent if they sat on the snow coated beach, looking out at the iced over water.

It was a sight to behold, just like Jaemin remembered it being.

"I mean, what does it feel like?" He continued, letting his gaze fall to Renjun who merely shrugged, not really sure where this topic was going.

"I mean, when I had a crush a few years back. My heart would fluttered whenever they were around. Oh, the pain in your abdomen is a big give away."

Jaemin nodded silently, except for the faint whistling of the wind filling the gaps in their conversation.

"I think I like Jeno."

It was now Christmas morning, and the slight chill in the air made Jaemin's heart race in anticipation.

He was a childish adult after all.

As he made his way to the living room, where the Christmas tree was lit up, he saw so many presents just sitting beneath the protective needle-like leaves of the tree.

"Don't even think about it," his Mother warned while running in speedily to wait for the others, and to make sure that Jaemin did the same.

Soon enough Renjun came strolling casually into the living room, his hood up to cover his red ears.

"Oh, you're up already," he mumbled tiredly, not even bothered to question his friend's bouncing knee and anxious look.

"And so are you....finally."

Renjun rolled his eyes at the younger, not wanting to argue with him on Christmas morning. Thankfully, Jaemin's Father came in before the two could be left to bicker for too much longer.

The first present Jaemin opened was one from his Mother. As he tore it open desperately, he was in awe when he saw a shining locket. The silver glimmered so beautifully due to the bright lighting above.

"It's beautiful," he sighed, opening the locket, only to be met with a picture of him and Renjun on Christmas Day years ago.

"Thought it would be nice to go back in time. You two have gotten so grown up." When Jaemin looked directly above him, he saw Renjun leaning over his sitting position.

"Aww," he cooed, his finger gracing over the photo, his heart swelling with nostalgia. "You were nice back then."

Jaemin then lifted hand to slap the back of the brunette's head. "Bitch," he muttered afterwards, his lip jutting out into a pout.

"What's on your mind?" The older whispered in his ear as he brushed the blonde locks back to make it look like they were still bickering in order to avoid questioning from Jaemin's parents.

"Just thinking of us..."

"And?"

"Jeno."

Jeno stuffed himself with Christmas dinner, the occasion being reason enough to feast.

His sister wasn't allowed to come home for Christmas, but Jeno had spent most of the day with her anyway, making sure she was well taken care of.

"I wanna talk to you a little later," Jinsoo slipped into the conversation, hoping to not come off as overbearing or, well, mean.

"Right...whatever."

Dinner continued, the tension between the couple going unseen by both of his parents.
All Jeno could think of was his conversation with his sister the other day when she had noticed his pain.

"Was it that Jaemin kid who you've talked so much about? Is he hurting you?" The younger hissed, her eyes darting around her brother's body, trying to decipher the stubborn boy's secret.

"It was not Jaemin. It's not anyone," he insisted although the younger didn't seem too convinced by this. "I was playing football with Soo, and I was trying to catch a particularly strong ball. It winded me and left a bruise, but Jinsoo still insisted on me going to the doctor. If the doctor says it's fine, then I think you can stop worrying."

The girl sighed in defeat, her eyes showing her unease as she stopped pushing the topic.

"Fine."

"-no.....Jeno?" Jinsoo asked while shaking the younger's arm. "You having dessert?" He asked once Jeno came back to planet earth.

"Sure."

With that response, both his Mother and Father stood up, trailing towards the kitchen, leaving the couple side-by-side.

"So," Jinsoo mumbled lowly while tightly squeezing Jeno's thigh as a warning. "Did you tell her?"

Jeno shook his head, not wanting to use his voice. He didn't want it to fail him and make him seem any weaker than he already was.

"I'm not so sure that you're telling me the truth. I think we'll have to talk a bit more later."

Once that was said, his parents walked back in with two dishes each, leaning over to place them in front of the pair.

"Dig in."