6 - Brothers Not Lovers

Of course I had left Professor Way's classroom after he had turned to help Mikey. I didn't want to hang around for no reason and bug them, but my feet refused to walk back to my dorm. Something inside of me, whether it was jealousy, confusion, or something else forced me to linger outside the doorway. The door was still wide open, so quietly, I stood out of sight, yet close enough to be able to hear what Professor Way and Mikey were chatting about.

There was something strange going on between the two of them. I just knew it. Mikey seemed so close to him, and Professor Way seemed so happy to see him... they must've been together, or close to it...

Despite my assumptions though, it didn't sound like any flirting or romantic behavior was going on in there. For a while, they just talked about math. That made sense. That's why Mikey had come there in the first place. But after a couple of questions, they seemed to rap things up, and I became more intrigued in the conversation... especially when they surprisingly mentioned me.

"Thanks for the help, Gerard," Mikey chuckled. "I should be fine to do the rest on my own".

"Oh don't mention it," Professor Way replied. "Math was usually fairly easy for me."

Just then, I heard him approaching the door. I panicked, fearing I would get caught eavesdropping on them, but thankfully, Prof. Way only turned to lean on one of the desks, allowing for me to hear him even more clearly.

The two of them were quiet for a moment as Mikey packed up his belongings, but suddenly Prof. Way spoke up, "So, you said you and Frank are friends?"

I leaned in closer as Mikey answered, "Yeah, somewhat. He's my friend Ray's roommate, and we were talking about all hanging out sometime. I don't know a whole lot about him yet, but I'm sure I'll be getting to know him much better soon".

"He's a great student to have," Prof. Way told him. "He seems so interested in his work and succeeding in class. I just wish I had met him under other circumstances".

My heart began to race. I prayed that Professor Way would spill all of his dirty little secrets out for poor Mikey.

"What do you mean by that?"

"I don't know..." Prof. Way sighed. "I just would like to get to know him as more of a friend rather than a student. A lot of my students don't care much for this class. It is for beginners after all- but Frank isn't like them. Whether his interest in art is genuine or not,  I wish I could get to know him better. I feel like we'll have a lot in common besides that anyway. I know I could talk to him more, but I just don't want him to find it weird. I am his teacher after all. Who would want to hang out with an old, lame guy like me?"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Mikey started to giggle, "Oh Gerard, you're not even that much older than us. I'm sure Frank wouldn't mind hanging out with you. Maybe school isn't the best place to though. You could always invite him over to your place?"

"Mikey! He'd never agree to that!" Gerard sounded shocked. "I don't even think he'd trust me enough for us to be alone at my house".

Yes, I would.

"Hmm, well, maybe invite him out to dinner?" Mikey thought aloud.

"Dinner?! He'll think it's a date".

Mikey chuckled, "Well isn't that the point?"

Professor Way sounded completely flustered, "I don't like him like that! He's my student. I would never even think of going out with him".

Oh...ouch.

"Yeah, right. I can tell by that suggestive wink you shot him earlier. Oh, and don't think I didn't see the way you were practically holding his hand and lustfully looking into his eyes. You looked like you were about to make out with him right then and there".