9 - R.I.P.

After leaving the library, I bolted across the campus to the building that Professor Way's class was in. I couldn't wait another second. He wanted to talk to me! And between Mikey's recording and my sneaky conversation, I had a very good feeling about what I was about to hear out of him.

When I got to Prof. Way's class, however, the door was shut, but the lights were on inside. It was still part of the school day... I completely forgot about the possibility of him being in the middle of teaching another art class.

I glanced at the time. Based on how the schedules typically worked, this class probably wouldn't be getting out for another half hour at least. I don't think I could wait around that long. I was already so anxious to hear what my teacher had to say. Sitting around or waiting until another day wouldn't do me any good.

My situation was pretty urgent if you asked me. The current class could certainly wait a couple of minutes while I talked to Professor Way... They could just wait around and doodle some shit like art kids typically did anyway.

So, I confidently knocked on the door to the classroom, only having to wait for a brief moment before Prof. Way appeared. Sure enough, there was a class busy at work inside, doing things thing looked far more advanced than the beginner art class I was in. All the students turned to look at me, but I was so excited that I couldn't care less.

"Frank?" Prof. Way looked surprised. "Is there something wrong? I'm in the middle of teaching right now".

"I know I know, I'm sorry for interrupting," I replied, trying to contain my excitement. "But it's really important. Could I please talk to you in the hallway real quick? It'll only take a second, I swear".

He looked back at his class hesitantly for a moment, before announcing, "Class, I'll only be a moment. Please just take a minute to catch up with the rest of the students on the assignment if you need to".

After partially closing the door and walking out into the hall, he addressed me, "Frank what's the matter?"

"Mikey told me that you needed to talk to me," I bit back my smile. "I just got worried. I wasn't sure if it was something that could wait".

He shook his head and took a deep, disappointed sigh, "I... I did need to talk to you, yes".

My eyes lit up, awaiting for him to spill the truth to me. I couldn't believe this was finally happening! I knew things would work out in the end if I just kept trying and believing. 

"Look, Frank," Prof. Way looked extremely anxious as he talked, "I don't know how I've been coming across to you, but I'm not trying to do it in the way that you think I am".

"Excuse me?" I stared wide-eyed at him.

"I don't-", he couldn't seem to speak as easily as he usually did. He looked over his shoulder, almost as if he was paranoid. "I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard from Mikey that you've suspected that I like you... I needed to tell you that that's not the case though".

I couldn't believe it... Was he serious right now? He really had the nerve to lie to my face? Everything made so much sense, from the recording, to the jealousy, to the flirting, to the touching, to the damn winking! And this asshole still was going to try to come up with some worthless excuse about how he didn't like me back?! I had had enough. There was no holding back now.

I felt hot tears burning in my eyes, "No, don't you give me that. You're lying to me".

Professor Way opened his mouth as if he wanted to explain further, but after a moment, only a faint, "I'm sorry", escaped his lips.