Triangle

I watched as a group of teenage girls plodded their way past me along the pavement, giggling and sharing phone screens. I couldn't help but smile a little. I probably looked like a right nonce, but I was actually thinking about how they're my target audience. And yet, none of them knew who I was. The best part is, I would be recognised if I was wearing a mask, which is the opposite of most people.

I went to scratch my face, and remembered as I did, that I had stubble growing; an achievement for me. To be fair, it was ginger stubble, so not an amazing attribute to show off. Still, I was quite proud.

"What d'you look so smug about?" My roommate, Alex, who was walking alongside me turned his head to examine my expression.

"Nofing," I smiled up at the sky, in some weird daydream that Alex would notice that my eyes were the same colour and fall in love.

"Wrongin'," Alex shook his head dismissively, and I knew he definitely hadn't.

My phone buzzed, so I reached for it out of my joggers. It was Will.

'Gonna be a bit late, Mia needs some attention ;)'

I sighed and rolled my eyes, shoving the phone into my roommate's face. After noticing the expression the message had left on Alex's face, I realised I probably should have just kept it to myself. To preserve both of our feelings.

Alex simply turned away and continued to walk. This reaction tugged at my heart.

"You're gunna have to realise he's straight one day," I plopped the phone back into my pocket and caught up with him via speedwalking.

Alex looked down and placed his hands in his jean pockets. I was certainly not great at comforting people.

"What's the point?" Alex shrugged, "Everyone's bloody straight. Not like I know anyone else my age who'd be interested in me. Why not stay in love with Will until I do?"

The words 'in love' caught me.

"Are you sure-" I took a deep breath and made sure to keep my hands by my sides, "Are you sure it's love?"

"Doesn't matter," Alex stood up a little straighter, "Anyway, I'm being a bit of a downer."

I then realised just how rude we were being. Both of us had let our feelings get in the way of what was really important today; our group of mates.

"Yeah, and anyway, today's about Fraser... You know, the guy we're going to Nando's to reconcile with," I let my hands move freely as a spoke again; I didn't need to appear calm anymore.

"Oh- uh-" Alex had most definitely forgotten, with that message from Will, "That was- that- I didn't forget."

I laughed at Alex and playfully thwacked the back of his head.

"Will is a large reason why we're in this mess anyway. He's the one who suggested we don't include Fraser in the channel. It's kinda shitty he's gunna be late," I let my voice raise slightly.

"Leave it out, man," Alex protested, "Fraser is a different brand of commentary to us, and we all agreed; we're comedians, he's more serious."

Alex wasn't wrong.

-

"Seriously Fraser, we didn't mean it like that. And you're one of our best mates, we just didn't think. And we should have," my hands rested on the table as I did my best to explain.

Nando's was well-lit and I was happy to be sitting with Alex to my left. The atmosphere of our table copied the room's; Fraser seemed understanding and we were all getting along.