Assumptions

I yawned and stretched slightly, feeling the other presence laying beside me. It had been around a month, and in that time, I had felt something I could only describe as pure bliss. Honeymoon period, I supposed. Yet still, it was wonderful.

I opened my eyes and turned my head to the right.

"Can we agree that my bed is more comfortable now?" My voice seemed to startle Alex and he fumbled with his phone before managing to turn it off and place it on his bedside table.

This set off alarms in my head. Sure, Alex and I had grown to trust each other, we had known each other for, like, ever, after all. And yet, somehow in 'forever' I had never seen him fumble in that way. At least not with me.

My boyfriend turned to face me, our heads both propped up by our elbows.

"Uh- yeah," Alex stumbled over his words, his mind was undoubtedly elsewhere, "Your bed is, uh, fine, I guess. We can sleep here from now on."

"What was that about?" I did my best to appear calm, and not accusatory, lowering my eyes to his phone.

"Oh, Will is uh," Alex was such a shit liar, "He's going through uh... something. He's coming over later."

But no, Will just wanted to come over. I was being my own stupid, worried self. Alex would never hurt me. He was my boyfriend, and I cared about him deeply. It was selfish of me to even think he could lie to me.

"So, if it's okay, because this is... personal," Alex audibly gulped and closed his eyes for a second, "Personal for Will, I mean. Because he's going through it, uh, you know? Could you be out of the house?"

And no, I was right the first time. If Will was really going through something, wouldn't he talk to me about it? The answer to whatever was going on had to be on Alex's phone.

"Alex," I attempted to remain composed, "Promise me it's nothing I have to worry about?"

Alex seemed to believe I was born yesterday, as I watched him swallow his pride and lie to my face.

"I would never do anything to hurt you," Alex placed a hand on my cheek, and even though I knew I was being lied to, even though I knew something was wrong, I could do nothing more than kiss him.

-

ShortBEAST: I'm coming over to yours
You and James better be fully clothed

NabbyBoy: weve been watching netflix for two days youre safe

I sat on Alex's side of the bed, staring at where he had left his phone. The reason he had left it there was because he trusted me. The reason Alex wasn't hiding his phone from me, or didn't have his phone with him, was because he thought he knew me. And he thought he knew I was a trustworthy person.

But the reason I had never looked at Alex's phone was because I did trust him. The reason he wasn't worried I would look at it was because of my blind faith. My blind faith only existed because I thought I knew Alex. And I thought I knew he was a trustworthy person.

My mind was made up. After debating for an undetermined amount of time, I snatched Alex's phone off of his bedside table, slipped it into my pocket, and walked into the living room where Alex and Will were sitting.

"Right, I'm off to see James and Fraser," I waved at both Will and Alex and they waved back, "Don't miss me too much."

Alright, I had made a non-suspicious exit. Then I just had to check the phone, but only in the company of my mates. I couldn't handle whatever was on that phone alone.

-

"You actually took his phone?" James looked at me as though I was crazy.

"What was I supposed to do? I'm telling you, I've never seen him act that suss around me," I defended myself.

"Honestly I would probably do the same," Fraser shrugged and James shot him a dirty look.

"Alright, well, if it's here now, we might as well," James nodded towards the phone in my hand and I nodded back, leaning on the kitchen counter as James and Fraser sipped on beers from their respective bar stools, across from me.

I sighed and unlocked the phone - Alex's password for everything was his birthday - and went to Will's contact.

Have you ever seen something, or heard something, and felt every single muscle in your face individually drop? Have you ever discovered something, and time completely stopped? Has the room around you ever become completely blurry? Have you ever felt yourself float away in a drunk-like, dizzy whirlwind, at the discovery of something so heart-stopping and relationship-changing that you don't know how you'll ever look your loved one in the eye ever again?

James and Fraser saw this and immediately stood up and walked around the counter to me, probably both curious as to what I had read, but also worried that I would faint or something.

"This doesn't mean he cheated on you. It could be anything," James tried to help and Fraser nodded along.

June 10th 2020

WillyBilly: hey so are we going to tell George and Mia about... you know

ElmTree: I've been thinking about it. I think i have to tell George at least. If he found out without me telling him it might kill him

WillyBilly: Mia might fuckin murder me though. and George would tell her. can we at least talk about it

//at this point coming up with the names in their phones is something I take pride in lmao
Also oOoOOOo suspense