Pub Antics

The sound of glass klinking and annoyingly large men yelling over the top of their best mates pierced my ears, and the smell of cigarettes and stale beer stung at my nose. I'd only really agreed to go to a pub with the boys because Alex had, not that him or I really knew where the other was at. 

The night of the incident, Alex and I had both fallen asleep in his bed, facing in opposite directions. The next morning, I woke up at around seven, gathered my clothes together and quietly tip toed my way to my room without waking up Elmslie. He had woken up at around ten, and went into the kitchen to make himself breakfast as if nothing had happened. Since then, things had been similar to normal, just slightly more quiet.

Not that I particularly minded; I had a shot with Alex, and I did all I could. Of course I still had feelings for Alex, but there wasn't much I could do to make him feel the same way. And I was content with watching from the sidelines.

"So you're gay, George?" William asked non-chalantly from across the table.

I paused for a second, before taking a swig of beer to buy time. I hadn't really thought about it. The only man I'd ever had feelings for was Alex, but fuck the sex was good.

"I guess I kinda am?" I could tell I did not come across as confident in that.

I heard Alex chuckle to himself from beside me, as if to say, 'well you're definitely not straight.' I shot him a dirty look and realised Will, James and Fraser all exchanging puzzled glances. I could tell from the looks on their faces that they'd all somehow telepathically decided to stir some shit.

You see, Alex and I had somehow both decided not to tell anyone about our hook up, non-verbally, like we had our own psychic powers.

"Why don't you go hit on a guy then?" Will suggested.

Alex whipped his head around to face me and I tried not to look too cocky because of his jealousy. The other boys seemed to notice Alex's reaction as well and decided to stir the pot even more.

"Fifty quid if you can get a guy's number," James had that cheeky smile again as he looked to Will and Fraser for approval.

"I'll put down an extra fifty if you get a free drink," Will added, obviously approving of James' idea.

Fuck sake. I should have just told them about Alex and I's hookup. Would've saved the detective work. Will and James looked to Fraser for any other additions.

"An extra fifty if you get a guy to kiss you right here, right now," Fraser made a final addition.

This solicited an, "Ooway!" from Will and an, "Aye!" from James.

I sighed and turned to look at Alex, who was very obviously doing his best not to make eye contact with anyone sitting at the table.

"Guys, I'm the most introverted guy at the table. Alex is bi, why not make him do it?" I sighed.

"Think of the money," Fraser attempted to be enticing.

'And make Alex jealous," Will mouthed to me with a wink and James nodded along.

I sighed and decided that it wasn't like things could get much weirder. Why not? So I took a final swig of my beer, and walked off to find the one gay guy in the entire pub.

I spotted a man, maybe 5'8, slim, leaning on the bar across the room. He wore black skinny jeans and a button up shirt with roses on it. Target acquired.

I turned around and shot the lads a thumbs up, only to see Alex on his phone. It was fine, he'd see.

I strutted my way over to the man and leaned on the bar in front of him. I decided my best chance was to be as douchey as possible; I'd never really 'picked up' at a pub before.

"Top or bottom?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Call us an uber and let's find out," he smiled smugly and eyed me up and down.

Oddly easy.

"Buy me a drink first," I ordered, not only incredibly out if my comfort zone, but also definitely not intimidating.

"Two beers," the man called and I began to feel as though I was in a movie.

"So, what's your name?" He asked in a seductive voice, and I attempted not to cringe.

"George, and you?" My douche persona was slowly fading.

"Oliver," he paused for a second before opening his mouth again, "Why'd you really come over here? I can tell from your lines that picking up guys in pubs definitely isn't your scene. Where'd you learn to flirt, Sex And The City?"

I sighed and rolled my eyes, taking my arm off of the bar and standing up normally.

"See that table of guys over there?" I discreetly pointed to my friends and Oliver nodded, "I had sex with one of the guys over there and my friends are stirring shit. They told me they'd give me a hundred and fifty quid if I kissed a guy, got a free drink and got his number."

Oliver nodded once again.

"Just make up a fake number. I can help with the kiss though," his smile was childish as he wrapped his arm around my waist and touched his lips to mine, lightly turning his head.

When he pulled away, I was left standing with my eyes wide open, absolutely dumbfounded.

"You're welcome," he winked.

"Thank you," I stuttered slightly before swiftly turning around and walking back over to my table, where all my mates were cheering and clapping, apart from Alex.

I jokingly bowed before taking my seat once again.

"We'll Venmo you later," Will laughed.

I wasn't particularly worried about the money at that point, though. I turned to Alex, only to see that there were tears slowly dripping from his bright pink cheeks. His eyes seemed slightly puffy,  though I couldn't see them that well as he was staring at the floor. The other boys noticed that I was staring and turned as well, only to be surprised by the sight of Alex crying, just as I was.

"Shit, Alex..." Will quickly stood up and walked over to Alex, "It's okay, let me take you home. I'm sorry; we went too far."

Alex stood up as well and nodded at Will, wiping tears from his eyes. Will put an arm around Alex before beginning to guide him out of the pub.

I simply sat in my seat, mouth left open, watching Will and Alex leave together. Of course he had to go back to Will. Of course I never had a chance with him.

Screw not caring, screw thinking that I 'had my chance'. I was only lying to myself. Of course I care. I lost Alex because I'm a dumbass.

"George?" I heard Fraser ask me from behind my head, as I continued to watch Elmslie leave.

"I'm gonna go," I tried not to cry, myself.