The Last Puzzle Pieces

I stood tall, as tall as possible, hands on hips, staring at the two clothing options laying on my bed before me. One was a simple black button up shirt and nice denim jeans, the other was a black suit. I eventually decided that absolutely nobody wanted to see me in a suit, and went with the button up and jeans.

My hair was in small, ginger ringlets on top of my head, and I'd made sure to put on an unhealthy amount of both deodorant and aftershave. I'd also decided to go with some black Vans that were sure to leave my feet aching by the end of the night, but suit me well enough.

It was was incredibly odd getting ready for a date with someone who was also getting ready for your date just across the hall. To think, Alex was just in the other room, considering which pair of Gucci shoes would best impress me. But the joke was on him; Alex himself never ceased to impress me, Gucci or not.

I quickly latched on a small chain necklace to make my outfit slightly less boring before walking across the hall and knocking on my date's door.

"I'm here to pick you up," I joked and I heard a slight chuckle before the most beautiful man I have ever laid eyes on opened his door.

Alex walked out wearing a bright pink t-shirt, a black leather jacket sitting over top to protect him from the cold. Black skinny jeans covered his legs and what seemed like pink tinted lip gloss, covered his lips. I stared in awe, unaware of just how long I had left him hanging.

"Too much?" He sighed, pulling at his leather jacket, "I feel like gay Danny Zuko."

I stifled a laugh, partially at Alex's unnecessary self-consciousness, and partially at 'gay Danny Zuko'.

"Wasn't Danny Zuko always gay?" I joked before taking Alex's hand, "You look incredible."

"True," Alex laughed and, together, we began to walk out of the apartment, "Where are we going again?"

"Well," I began, a cheeky smile growing across my face as I locked our flat door behind us, "Do you remember the restaurant we chose the night I moved in?"

"Yeah," Alex answered, "Wagamama because you're a child and you thought the name was funny."

I couldn't help but chuckle once again at the sound of the name. Oh, Wagamama.

"Well," my cheeky smile evolved into a smug smile as we took an elevator down to the ground floor, "I thought we could have a little redo of that night. This time, with me being less of a jerk."

I watched as Alex's eyes began to twinkle, leaving me absolutely starstruck.

"Thank you," I could tell the child-like excitement on his face was entirely genuine.

-

As I watched Alex laugh, I almost felt as though I was David Attenborough observing a new species of beautiful creature. As though I didn't deserve to be observing the wonderful animal; I didn't have the qualifications.

"I know that face," Alex held my hand over the table and I latched on, my other hand reserved for resting my chin on, "Whatcha thinking about?"

"Just how lucky I am," my smile was sweet, but Alex rolled his eyes.

"That's such a line," he teased.

"But I am," I protested, "You gave me a second chance even though I've treated you like shit, twice."

"Well you're not exactly doing yourself any favours by bringing it back up again," Alex paused slightly, his face softening, "But I know the first time you were just defensive because you didn't accept yourself. And the other day, that's just you. I've always known you have a short temper; we both do. We both get angry and upset very easily. And that's something we'll need to work on if we want us to work out, but I believe we can."

I stared into Alex's eyes as he spoke. His speech only made me feel even more lucky. I'd be happy to compromise every now and then for the man who sat before me.

-

"The actual water may be fucking ugly, but the buildings and the lights of the city sure look pretty," Alex and I were basically huddling for warmth as we looked out over Rotherhite-Canary Wharf river crossing.

Our arms were linked and Alex's head was on my shoulder as our teeth chattered. I didn't particularly care though; I was with Alex.

"I don't mind the water. To me, it's not about how beautiful it is. Because, to me, this is home," I smiled as I thought of all of the times I'd spent with friends and, most importantly, Alex in this area, "Because everyone is here. And we may he in London, but with you on my arm, I feel safe."

Alex lifted his head off of my shoulder, and I was prepared for him to be scared off, or say I was coming on too strong, or tell me I was being soppy, or-

But he kissed me. And both of our lips were dry from the cold. And I was surprised so I know I didn't do a state-of-the-art-job. But Alex's hands felt warm as they clasped my cheeks. And my arms seemed to have their own rest on his back. And our bodies felt like the last two puzzle pieces you have to fit together before you finish; so simple, and so satisfying. And yet, it took you so long to get to the point where you could fit those two last pieces together.

My tongue seemed to orbit Alex's, however much quicker than a usual orbit. And though Alex was the one to kiss me, he fell into a routine of following my lead.

Nothing could make this night more perfect, but one thing could make it more interesting.

//sorry if I got any places wrong; I live in Australia so I had to do some research, but idk how accurate it is. Anyway, how's school going for y'all?