Chapter 12: Competition

A/N: This chapter is quite long. I had to cut down some paragraphs to avoid it from being too descriptive. I apologize if it feels unsatisfying.

Towards the end of the second semester, after the finals, the seniors or alumni of U.A. had this custom of throwing competitions that follow the same trend like the sports festival. In a way, the competition would be an extra chance for young students to showcase their abilities.

It was called the Special Competition. 

Unlike the sports festival, this competition only involves one round and the participants must be in partners. 

To boost and gain more attention, the partners were allowed to only be one boy and one girl. Social media would be flooded with gossip upon seeing teams of different genders.

Teenagers were easily influenced when love was put as a factor of popularity. 

When this competition was announced in class, no one even dared to approach Momo. Since the number of boys overcame the number of girls, it was expected for her to be scouted.

However, everyone knew that she would team up with Shoto. 

Bakugo was inexplicably mad as he realized that no female friends of his would want to team up with him. He threw away his chance and called the competition stupid and discriminatory. 

When the competition was announced, there was an instant button that dissolved Momo's and Shoto's friendship. Showcasing their Quirks would require them to be professional.

Momo had things to prove to people and Shoto wanted to go against his father. 

On the day of the event, Shoto and Momo were separated from each other. They were locked away in the boys' and girls' locker rooms respectively. They were banned from watching the competition.

The stages in this competition would be kept a secret from the participants to avoid them from cheating. 

Shoto and Momo, going with the name Creato, were the last partner. 

They were put as the last to increase more anticipation as they were both recommended students. People wanted to see how students with scholarships would work together. Shoto was complacent that they would win. 

Were they as amazing as other people said?

As they were at the starting line, people around the stadium cheered for them. They didn't cheer for them together. Instead, some were screaming Shoto's name and some shouted Momo's name.

"Yaoyorozu!"

"Todoroki!" 

The only hint they were told was that the competition was more of an obstacle course and there were reasons they only allowed different genders to partner up. 

If they allowed boys to partner up, they'd definitely lose. If they allowed girls to partner up, it'd be a complete biased competition.

From the looks of the competition, many partners failed to finish the race together with their partners. They would fail during the first or second stage. Momo wondered if their Quirks didn't allow them to pass. 

They were told that the first stage would require them working separately. As they stood in front of two different gates, they could feel each other's bursting energy. 

Momo in her crimson leotard and Shoto in his dark blue jacket.