Chapter 13: Conflict I (Momo's Thoughts)

Since that random message from an unknown number, Momo's nights had never been peaceful. 

It wasn't the only time the person disturbed her. Since that day, her privacy was invaded by different phone numbers, but they all said the same thing.

She tried her best to suppress her feelings. Slowly however, she began to remember how she felt after the sports festival. The insecurity and anxiety were resurfacing. 

On one Tuesday night, she looked outside her window, wondering if the competition had proved to backfire. 

With her blanket around Momo's shoulders, she felt a certain chill down her neck. 

She couldn't find the end of the maze in her mind. The messages that she received woke her up from her reverie. 

Have you ever felt too conscious of something after someone point it out for you? That's how Momo was feeling.

Imagine if you were completely confident in your body and one day, someone says that you have extra large hips. It ruins your own body image and makes you conscious of your legs.

Except this time, Momo felt like she was chided for her chastity. Her hero costume was necessary for her to use her Quirk and she had never felt like she was going to cause a controversial debate regarding it. 

Throughout her lifetime, with any kind of clothes on, she had never felt more disgusted with herself.

She had never ran outside naked or worked in a brothel, but did she really dress like whore?

Nonsense. NO. No. 

When Shoto had shielded her as she was making a new outfit, she never asked for it. 

He did it on his own.

However, as someone pointed out that she was being an attention-seeker, acting all innocent and prudent, she couldn't stop overthinking.

Shoto chose to cover me and I do not affect his hero reputation.

I do not affect Shoto's hero reputation.

Did I affect Shoto's reputation?

I did, didn't I?

Breaking down, she wanted to toss herself out of the balcony. She couldn't bring herself to see anyone. She had never meant to flash her body or use it to get attention. Heck, Momo liked pretty things, but she had never considered herself to be a 'thing'.

Shoto made it clear many times that she wasn't a decoration. That she was a girl who wanted to be a hero just like him.

Why am I doubting him now?

Throwing herself into her bed, she clutched her pillow close to her chest, wanting to dissolve her thoughts with the silence of the night.

She woke up with determination. She wanted to prove them wrong. She didn't want to affect their friendship.

That was when she realized that she had been attached to him.

She was willing to take in any pain as long as Shoto wasn't being the target.

As she walked to the pantry during the morning, wanting to make herself an egg sandwich for breakfast, she heard Shoto talking on his phone.

"You have to stop teasing me and Momo, brother. We are just friends. Not more, not less," he whispered into the speaker, audible enough for Momo to hear.

She didn't know why, but her heart cracked. 

"Look, we do not need people pressuring us. We're fine being close friends and that's it."