Chapter 23: Filial Obligations II

The morning had never been too cold.

Have you ever been used to someone's presence that when they're gone, your life feels lonely and incomplete?

The heater was turned on and she was on her huge king bed. Momo was even wrapped in her thick, expensive blanket, but her body rebelled.

Two years ago, she asked her parents if she could bring this bed to the dorms. At this particular moment, she wanted no more than to wake up next to Shoto.

His presence taught her that even the living room floor could be a comfortable place to lie down.

If she was beside him, he would always hold her close and at times, wait for her until she wakes up.

She tried calling him, but her phone was tapped and all her male contacts were blocked. As she promised to give Alexander Hawthorne a chance, she was cut from any outside influence.

In a way, she was being left alone. They were trying to make her desperate to the point that she won't deny her father's interest for the company anymore.

Momo stood up and walked over to the ceiling-to-floor window. She gazed out, wondering if everyone at The Heights Alliance had already been up and about.

From the corner, she could see the man that was supposedly betrothed to her. He was strolling somewhere, casually flipping his blond hair as he watched the sun.

That little smirk that he was hiding didn't soothe Momo's heart at all.

A knock was heard from her door and she called the visitor in.

Her mother's soft voice echoed from the entrance. "Good morning, dear. I trust you've slept well last night?"

She didn't even turn. "I think so."

Her mother made her way to her, sliding her little legs closer each second. She saw Alexander Hawthorne as Momo looked at him and remarked, "He's such a handsome fellow. If I were 20 years younger, I'd take him all for me."

Momo was outraged. "Mother! If father hears that he'll be very sad."

"I don't agree. Your father holds a certain amount of fondness to him that he'd give me extra points for saying that to you."

Stripping off their positions and titles, she wanted to ask for explanation from her father and mother.

Not the president. As her real parents.

She didn't want to argue whether she was in love with someone else or something close to that. She just wanted to prove that Alexander Hawthorne wasn't as innocent as he seemed.

He had his own agenda. Momo was sure.

However, Momo's parents didn't believe her. She was stuck in a position that she couldn't defy them as her act of filial piety, but she also wanted to speak on behalf of the organization.

"But I don't want to marry him," Momo murmured, loud enough for her mother to hear.