Chapter 3: Lessons

I walked through the hallways, I had 5 minutes to get to class. Carter hasn't come running to me this morning which means he's still mad at me. At this moment that didn't matter, he never stays mad at me for long. I made my way into the class room and tried to keep my eyes from roaming to the back of the class. I took my seat and waited for the lesson, to start. Fortunately for me the lesson was short and my notes were finished. Mrs. Patterson went to her desk and went on her phone which was our clue that we could chill for a bit. I stayed at my desk and started to write as I usually do when I suddenly felt something hit the back of my head. I ignored it, one of the dumb ass boys again I said to myself. Shortly after, I felt another paper ball crash on the back of my head "What the shit!" I turned around and saw Ashton with that smile on his face and his hands under his face and his signature giggle. I couldn't help but laugh "What the hell do you want Ashton?" He motioned me to come over. I got up and walked over to him and I could feel people staring. I took the seat next to him. "How are you?" He says to me and his eyes start to light up. Shit. I have to remind myself to keep my composure, but I practically shrink in front of him. "I'm pretty good, but I'm sure you didn't call me over to ask me how I am," I say with a raised eyebrow. He looked at me and gave me his Ashton chuckle "You're right, actually I wanted to know if you'll be able to help me catch up on the work I've missed this past week." He continued "I understand that you're the smartest in this class and I don't think I would want to ask anyone else honestly." He rubs the back of his neck and I cringe, "Oh yeah, of course, but you have to promise me something." He looked at me and said "I'll promise you anything." I said "You have to promise me that you'll tell me about yourself, because friday night threw me off completely." I immediately regretted asking him the minute the words left my mouth and it wasn't until he said "Of course I will, you deserve that." He gave me a sideways look and I immediately got up and said "Great! Uh, here's my number, you can just uh, text me later...you know, if you want." He looked at me, took my number and nodded at me. Thank God, the bell decided to ring at that moment. "Later Sloan..." He said I immediately turned around, looked at him and managed to get out a small "Bye Ashton."

Once I got home, I sat on my bed, took out my binder and began doing homework. I turned on my music and knocked out as much homework as I could. I felt my phone vibrate and I immediately thought it was Ashton. It was a text from my mom telling me she'll be home late, the office put her on extra shifts so she won't be back till morning. This means frozen pizza and Netflix for me tonight.

It was around 4:30 when my phone buzzed with a notification. It was a text from Ashton asking when was a good time to catch up on the work. I didn't have anything better to do so might as well.

Sl:now if you're free,do you mind going to the library though ?

Ashton: I'm free I'll see you in 20 then ☺️

I decide to take a quick shower since I don't take long to get ready. I hopped out of the shower and threw on some ripped black skinny jeans, my favorite white tee and combat boots. I grab my back pack and texted Ashton to tell him that I was on my way. Not until now I realized I don't even have a ride,the library's not far from where I lived so I had no other choice but to walk.
About 10 minutes into walking I feel my phone buzz

Ashton: are you still coming? 😬

Sl: yeah I'm so sorry I didn't really have a ride so I'm walking I'm really sorry.

Ashton: I kinda have band practice,do you mind coming with and we can do it after?

Sl: uhhhh yeah why not

A few seconds my phone begins to ring "Where are you?" His thick accent makes it hard for me to speak "I uhh I'm across the street from a park on Sate avenue,"I muster out. A second later I received a text from ash telling me to stay where I was. I smile to myself. I stand there for about 5 minutes before I see a plain black jeep roll up next to me, the window rolls down and its him. "Hey!, don't just stand there! Get in!" he says flashing that heart wrenching smile, I get into the car sliding my bag at my feet."Again, I'm so sorry I just..I usually get a ride with Carter but uhh something happened." I look at my hands in my lap "No no! it's okay!really theres no need to apologize" he chuckles softly, I turn the radio up in reply.
We pull up to some warehouse like place and Ashton immediately gets out and I grab my bag and follow his lead. "Do you need help?" I ask watching him unload what I assume is pieces to his drum kit
"Yeah sure you can grab that" he motions to a huge case with wheels on it.