Chapter 5

Marcus' POV
"Wh- what?", Y/n stuttered.
I laughed at her cute stutter and wide eyes.
"I was just kidding. I wanted to see how flustered you would get."

Y/n rolled her eyes. "Okay, I don't...I-I don't get flustered..."
"Obviously not."
She bit her lip and looked down at her fingers.

"I wish I could leave," I mumbled.
"Yeah, it's a pretty big world out there," Y/n agreed, "Let me show you something, real quick."
She pulled out a small black box and a light appeared.

"What's that?", I asked, peering over her shoulder.
"A phone. I'm surprised the hotel has service."

A video of Y/n dancing and singing to a song on a bar table with two other people appeared.
"This was when we had to stop at a tavern. Johnny misplaced our map and my favorite song happened to come on."
Some people seemed to laugh and sing with her, even though she was a vampire. Strange...

Y/n swiped to the left and a picture of her climbing a snowy mountain showed up.
"This was the trip where I almost lost my big toe to frostbite. Not my worst trip, though," she commented.

I was still curious about the other video she showed me.
"How come the people at the tavern didn't try to kill you with pitchforks and garlic on bread?", I asked.

Y/n turned off her phone and said, "There are good humans and there are bad humans. Not everyone is the same and...it's kinda hard to explain."

I lightly smiled at her.
"I'm really glad I met you," I said.
She returned my smile and came close, so our noses were touching.
"I'm glad I met you too."

I put my hand on her cheek and gazed into her beautiful eyes. Y/n's smile slowly faded as she relaxed at my touch. Her gaze fluttered down to my lips, then back into my eyes. The simple look making me feel weak.

"It feels like I've known you for years. It's nice to zing."
Y/n looked at me, confused and asked, "What's a zing?"

Before I could even answer, Dad swung my door open.
"Dad-"
"Y/n, come with me. Now."

Y/n tilted her head and glared at him, but she got up and walked over to my father.
"You shall not leave this room until your party, tonight," Dad demanded.
"WHAT?! Dad!"
It was too late. He already closed the door.

• • •

Y/n's POV
As I walked with Dracula and Johnny, I didn't say a word. I didn't know what to say and I didn't want to say anything. The one time I actually feel like I'm falling in love, it gets ripped away from me and it hurts.

Dracula led us into a large room and Johnny squealed. He laid in Dracula's coffin and gasped at a huge painting.

"Y/n, don't you remember her?", Johnny asked me.
I nodded and played with my nails as he told their love story. Dracula had his back towards us and said, "No. There was no fire. She was killed...by your kind."

When Dracula was done telling us his side of the story, I shook my head.
"I'm sorry that happened to her and I understand the pain you must've went through of losing her, while raising and keeping Marcus safe. But, not all humans are the same, anymore. I'm not saying EVERYONE would accept you, but there are some good people left in this world. You just need to figure out who those good people are and let them in," I told Dracula.

(A/n): Tbh...fuck the human race. We're helpless.

Johnny put a hand on my shoulder and said, "We'll leave. The last thing we want to do is hurt you and Marcus."

He held my hand and we left to get our backpacks. Dracula zoomed in front of us.
"Don't go. Not yet, at least. If you leave before the party, Marcus will get suspicious."
Johnny and I nodded.

Dracula smiled and said, "You know, you make a horrible Frank, but you two would be good vampires."
Johnny did a bad Dracula impression, but when Dracula did a Wade impression, I cracked a bit of a smile.
"I have too many kids," Dracula joked, mocking Wade.
We left, with Johnny and Dracula acting like idiots and me laughing at their stupidity.

• • •

After we changed, Dracula, Johnny, and I walked to the ballroom with tons of monsters dancing and Frank and the guys sounded a lot better.

Drac left and Johnny twirled me.
"Clumsy, you know you can't dance."
"You're right."
He started dancing off beat and I laughed.
"Johnny...never change."
He ignored me and I started to dance, as well.

Marcus' POV
When I came into the ballroom, I immediately found Y/n dancing with Johnny. Johnny glanced my way and told Y/n something that would make her be okay with him leaving.
I came up behind her and grabbed her shoulders, causing her to grip my arm and flip me over her shoulder.

"That's what you get, Jo- OH MY GOSH! I-I'm so sorry, Marcus," Y/n apologized, helping me up.
"It's okay. Where did you learn that?", I asked.
"Nine years of self defense class."

'I think I love her even more,' I thought.

Then, I remembered her gift.
"Turn around."
Y/n looked at me, skeptical, but slowly turned so her back was facing me, anyway. I put a simple silver necklace around her neck and she faced me, again.

"I love it, thank you. But, isn't it supposed to be your birthday?", she asked.
"Yeah, but it's a gift for having to endure the wrath of my father."
Y/n laughed and said, "Then, thank you so much. I'll always wear it."

"You're welco...", I trailed off as a thousand fireflies created words and images of places I want to go.
I looked at them in amazement and glanced back at Y/n.

"I know, it isn't the same as the real thing, but-"
I cut her off by hugging her.
"Thank you."
She hugged me back and I changed into a bat.

She gasped and laughed.
"You're crazy!", Y/n yelled with a smile on her face.
I turned back into a human and dragged her to the dance floor.

As we danced, I brushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear and leaned down to kiss her. Y/n was at first hesitant, but melted into the kiss. My dad suddenly came between us and whispered something to her.

• • •