Chapter 9

Before we get into the chapter, thank you all so much for the votes and comments! Sorry if I sometimes don't reply, but I still am happy that you commented! Also *sends head pats to ghost readers* (I didn't forget you guys :D)

Either way, let's get on to the story ^v^

Marie looked at Varian, thinking about all the ways to soften the news. But how do you soften the fact that his father got captured by the strange people? She could feel Varian staring at her, waiting for an answer.

Marie sighed and decided to break the news. "While we were getting chased, Quirin got... (She looked away) captured..."

....

Varian looked at her in disbelief. How? Why? His thoughts mixed, as the world began spinning. He was pretty sure that someone was talking to him, but he didn't care. Sit... I need to sit. He stumbled onto a log, as the world continued to be too confusing to understand. His father used to be a knight! How could he get overwhelmed?

He suddenly remembered noises while he was running. That was his dad. He should have helped him! But now, he was gone. Gone...gone...gone... That was what made the dam break.

He cried his eyes out as each fact came crashing down on him. A hand began patting his back, trying to comfort him. But nothing would help him cope with the fact that his father was gone.

And he could have helped him.

...

Marie looked at her heartbroken son, as she felt her heart sink. She knew how he felt. During all those years, she had lost all her family due to the Dark Knights. Watching him cry, thinking that he had lost the last family member he had left, made her almost want to tell him that she was his mother.

Well, almost.

Even though she knew it was selfish, she didn't want to tell him that she was his mother. She did not want to go through the flood of questions he would ask or the chance that he would get mad at her.

Even though she knew that he was going to find out any way, she wanted to prolong that for as long as she could.

 Though she didn't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet, she did want to comfort him. But she didn't really know how. She had no clue what to do in social cues, so she just stood there, not really sure what to do.

After taking too long to decide, Marie finally decided to walk over and pat his back. It kind of felt weird, but it was the most she could do.

....Time skip (one day)....

Rapunzel was heading over to Varian's house, pretty concerned. He hadn't showed up for work, and was late by two hours. He was NEVER late. Eugene wanted to come with her, but he had to take over her job while she went to look. He is probably fine, just over sleeped.... She walked over to his house and knocked. "Hello? Varian? Anyone?" she shouted. No response. Now she was starting to get worried.

Rapunzel pushed open the door, and began looking around. The house was a mess. There were pushed over breakers, flipped tables, and broken windows. What if... NO, you are not going down that path, that was probably just Rudduger...

She reached the back door, noticing several footsteps in the dirt. Weird... I'll check the rest of the house first. But as she looked around the house, all she found was Ruddiger, hiding underneath Varian's bed.

Rapunzel walked back to the footsteps left behind and took a deep breath. She was about to follow the path, when she realized that Eugene was probably going to freak out if she didn't come home.

Quickly writing a note, explaining that she was going to look for Varian, she placed it down on the table nearby. Don't worry Varian.... Rapunzel thought as she took the first steps. 

I'm coming.