Chapter 15

---15 years ago----

"Dear sister, have you ever been in love?"

Larath wasn't quite sure how to answer. She had never felt any romantic feelings in fact. But ever since the beginning of the year, she was forced to. Their parents had forced a marriage between her and the prince of Delevsion, since it would strengthen the kingdom's bond with them.

Even though she wasn't sure how to feel about it, she tipped her head down and agreed, not wanting to face the consequences if she did not. "No not really." She replied to her younger sister, Elizalh. "Have you?"

"Of course not!" she answered it a bit too quickly, looking away from her eyes. "I was just curious since your wedding is coming up." Larath cringed, wanting to never touch that oh-so sensitive topic.

In all her time with the prince, Harey, she had never felt a spark. No connection. She actually kinda hated him.

The brown haired prince felt like everyone was below him, and that he was in the center of the universe. Which could have been true, but the chances were slim. She had seen a map before, and she was pretty sure water was in the center of the universe.

His sister though, was a different story.

The spoiled prince had 3 other siblings, Keth, Veronia, Deakith, and Jounh. Though his brothers were equally horrible, Veronia was the ray sunshine out of all of them. She was kind, witty, and overall an amazing person.

She had curly chocolate hair, paired with light green eyes. Since the family visited so often, Veronia and Larath would always spend the whole afternoon just enjoying each other's company. Larath always felt amazing with Veronia, always laughing her head off. She felt a spark between them.

A connection.

A strong connection.

But, they were just friends, right?

"So what do you think I should do Larath?" Elizalh asked, snapping Larath out of her thoughts. "Oh sorry, I zoned out... can you repeat the question?" Larath asked, feeling a bit embarrassed about daydreaming about Veronica. They were only friends after all.

Elizalh began to open her mouth, only to close it. "Nevermind." she muttered under her breath. "What was that?" Larath questioned, concerned since her sister was normally a very loud person. She would talk to every person she met. At a ball, at a dinner, even on the streets. Larath, though, was a whole other story. She liked to keep to the shadows, and barely had a voice.

"I said, nevermind." she said louder this time, her voice raising. She suddenly stormed out of Larath's room, without saying another word. Veronia soon entered the room, with a confused expression on her face. "What happened with her?"

Larath sighed. "I have no clue. She muttered something, and just left randomly." Veronia nodded in understanding, and took a seat next to Larath. "Maybe she just needs some good-old space."

Larath doubted that, since her sister hated being alone. But maybe today was just a little off for her today.

Veronica suddenly hugged her. "I'm sure she'll be back to normal soon." Larath just sat there in shock, blushing furiously.

This is normal ok? She's just your friend. Friends hug each other right? That's normal. It's very normal. Uh, then why am I still blushing? It's not like I like her or anything. Well I do like her but not like that. Girls can't like girls right? Right? Right?

"You ok?" Veronica asked, concerned. Larath soon popped back into reality, realizing that Veronica had stopped hugging her.

"Yeah, I'm fine..."

---Back to the future---

"Sunshine?"

Rapunzel slowly woke up from the nap her and Pascal took. They had been walking for the better part of the day, and Pascal made her get some rest.

"Eugene?" Rapunzel asked, confused. "Didn't I leave a note saying where I was going?" Eugene held up a crinkled sheet of paper in his hand, smiling. "Yeah, but you've been gone for 10 days by now." he said sadly.

"Ten days?!" She yelled, shocked time had passed so quickly. It all felt like one. Suddenly she remembered the slight weight in her pocket.

"Eugene! I think Varian went to Hourian!" She exclaimed, handing him the badge. "But why would he do that?" Eugene questioned, remembering Varian's wrecked house.

Was he....

No.

He was probably trying to find some rocks for an experiment and got lost...

Yeah that's what happened.

"Knowing goggles, he probably got lost in the woods somewhere looking for rocks." Eugene nervously joked. "This badge was probably dropped on accident during a scouting trip."

"Oh that makes a lot more sense then what I was thinking!" Rapunzel laughed, feeling silly for thinking the Hourian government kidnapped Varian and his dad. The idea felt so dumb now she thought about it.

"I guess we should find him before he accidentally set the whole forest on fire." Eugene joked, helping Rapunzel get up. "Yeah!" Rapunzel agreed, bouncing back in her feet.

"Which way do we go, my lady?" Rapunzel laughed, and pointed to the right. "Let's start that way, kind gentleman."

...

It had been ten days. Ten days since he was captured. Ten days of worrying. Also ten days of regretting. Why had he panicked?  Why couldn't he just deal with his emotions?

The walls in the room felt like they were slowly closing in. He had ran away from the problem for 13 years. 13 years he had turned a blind eye to it. And look at what it became. And look at what it grew into. 13 years in the making. 

He broke her. It was his fault.

It was too late.

What I actually updated? I'm shocked too-