Chapter 12

Everyone has been asking about the person (or people-) who are going to die. I want to answer them, but I can't spoil soooooo- 

Anyway, enjoy this chapter! :D 

Marie had noticed that Varian was acting weird. Even though he was weird before, now he was extremely weird. She didn't really blame him since he just lost his father but Marie kinda wanted to know her son a bit.

"So, do you like reading?" Marie questioned, hoping to spark a conversation. Instead all she got was a nod. Great, back to silence...

He didn't talk until the end of the day, when they started setting up camp.

"How do you know my dad?" he asked, not fully there.

"Um... I was a friend of your... um.... Mom!" Marie lied, internally panicking at her terrible lying skills. Varian didn't seem to believe that, but he didn't question. He just continued to stare off into space.

"Hey, just saying, if she was here now, she would be really proud of you." Marie said, sitting next to him. Varian sighed and continued to look up at the sky. "Are you sure?"

"I am."

...

Rapunzel had been following the trail for a least a day by now. Last night, she had taken shelter in a cave, sleeping on a pile of leaves.

And it was pretty boring.

Rapunzel never thought in a thousand years she could get bored, but here she was. Pascal was even bored, sleeping on her shoulder for most of the trip.

"Come on Pascal, he is probably not that far away by now."

Pascal was not amused.

Rapunzel sighed, wishing she thought to get a horse. Actually, it looked like the footsteps weren't going anywhere, maybe she could head back and get a-

The footsteps ended.

"This means he must be close!" She exclaimed, running around, looking for Varian. After 2 hours, she admitted defeat.

"Why isn't he here? The footsteps lead here!" Rapunzel pounted, collapsing on the floor. She was about to head back to get some back up when Pascal pointed to a random badge on the ground.

"Good eye Pascal!" Rapunzel said, smiling at her little green lizard. She picked up the badge, wiping off the mud that collected.

A Hrouian badge? Why would there be a Hrouian badge?

She looked at Pascal, confused. Pascal shared her look, also looking up at her with a face that spelled out "I dunno either-"

Well... Rapunzel thought, looking at the badge. This is our only clue...

"Come on Pascal, we're going to Hrouian!"

...

Eugene was getting worried. It had been a whole day since Rapunzel had left to check on Varian, and even though he knew she could protect herself and probably didn't need him there, he felt like he should come over to check on her.

"Ok, Lance is in charge for as long as I'm gone ok?" Eugene said, about to head over to Old Corona. He waited until they all nodded and headed for Old Corona.

--Time skip: 1 hour--

Eugene entered Old Corona, walking to Varian's house, worried from the fact that nothing was blowing up.

"Hello is anyone here?" He asked, opening the door to Varian's home. It was a mess. Flipped tables everywhere, ripped paper everywhere, and breakers spilled all over the floor.

Ok, when I see him again, we are having a long talk about neatness. Eugene thought, as he stepped over a broken breaker.

"RAPUNZEL! VARIAN! ARE YOU GUYS HERE?" Eugene shouted to no one. "ANYONE?"

The only answer was the sound of chittering.

"Ruddiger? Where's Varian?" Ruddiger raised both paws, shrugging.

Varian would never leave Ruddiger alone like this...

He spotted a note.

Dear Eugene,

Hey, it's me Rapunzel! I couldn't find Varian, so I'm following these footsteps to see if they lead me to him :D Don't worry, I'll be fine! I have Pascal and my frying pan with me!

Sincerely,

Me (Raps!)

Eugene sighed. Just when he thought their life was going to be a little normal.

Well, I'm coming for you Sunshine.

...

Donna was conflicted. On one side, the side of reason, it screamed about how this was wrong. But the other side, it whispered in her ear. It twisted words, like revenge to justice.

And that side was very convincing.

Currently, she was walking through the forest, with her soldiers walking through it too. It was kinda hard to pass with her troops since the forest was so dense. But they pulled through.

Donna still wondered why she was chosen as leader of the mission. It was a thought that entered her brain at the weirdest times. And while she was searching through the forest, it popped up again.

Why me?

Sure, she had 12 years worth of training.

But why me?

She always had a guilty mind, it would surely slow them down.

So why me?

Donna sighed as the question passed through her mind one more time.

Why me? 

Ok, this was kind of filler, but hey Eugene is here now! :D