Chapter 2-4

Slow breaths, Zara. No problem, it's dinner... With the entire pack... and the first eligible bachelor who I might have to spend the rest of my life with.

My body didn't get the message, as my palms sweated. I drew in a raspy breath and steadied my shoulders.

They can't be any scarier than my father. You got this, Zara.

I ignored Lumi's snort.

My heels clicked behind Raina, who walked me back to the great hall. A large group now gathered and conversations that mixed and hummed stopped when we stood in the entry hall.

Swallowing the dryness strangling my throat, I recognized Alpha Faelen and Luna Cassandra, who spoke with a younger, handsome version of Alpha Faelon. He stood an inch taller than him, with a broad build. The same high cheekbones, strong jawline, and dark eyes graced his face but his eyes twinkled as he spoke with ease.

Wearing a white button-down dress shirt, with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and gray pants hugged his waist and muscular legs. Unlike most of the males in his pack, his hair was cut short, with soft, damp curls that tucked around his ears, across his forehead, and at the nape of his neck.

Oh my gosh, he's hot.

He must have sensed my eyes on him, and shifted in my direction. My lips parted open as if they moved on their own, and my feet walked as if drawn to him. His dark eyes sparkled and his lips curled up at the corners.

With slow, deliberate steps, I realized why Elena had chosen this dress. Despite being the most uncomfortable clothing item I'd worn, I had my first potential mate's attention, which felt really... good.

"Miss Zara," He extended a hand to me, his eyes never leaving mine.

I hoped my smile wasn't as jittered as how my stomach felt as I took his hand in mine. His palm was large, and calloused but wrapped warmth around mine. He smelled like a mix of the salty sea surrounding the pack house and a spicy, musky cologne. That salty smell worked much better on him than me and Elena.

His deep voice sounded pleasing in my ear, moreso when he leaned in closer. "You are far lovelier than I could have imagined."

On my side, Raina snorted. "Seriously? You act like you haven't seen her -"

"I apologize for anything she's already said," Lucus interrupted her, sending me a smile that warmed down into my toes.

"Nice to meet you, Lucus." I beamed at him, clasping my hands.

Here he was, right in front of me. With confidence, he was worth the wait. He looked my age or a year older, yet already exuded the same confidence of his fellow pack members. I squeezed my palms together, fighting the urge to fan my face.

And... he's hot.

"I apologize for not being here when you arrived." Firmness wrapped around each word that he said, and I noticed and appreciated that his hand hadn't released mine. "We were tracking down the rogues that attacked your caravan. I assure you we'll do everything in our power to bring you justice. Your Beta Baron is interrogating the one he caught as we speak."

"Oh..." I felt the blood draining out of my cheeks at the mention of Baron, and the sobriety that he was not in fact, my Beta. "Thank you."

"Plenty of time to stare at each other while we eat." Luna Cassandra swept by a look on her face that implied she was satisfied that Lucus and I met.

She led us into the great hall, which had now been set up as a dining space with a long rectangular table. Soft candles were placed every few seats, flickering shadows that danced up the high stone walls.