Chapter 3-10

During our visit, many pack activities revolved around the East's upcoming reaping ceremony. I understood, from meal table talk, that it was a festival, or rather a giant party designed to look like a festival. Pack artisans invited from around the country set up booths and sold their goods around the lake. Werewolves flocked in from the East and the rest of the country.

Since the Eastern territory concentrated a lot of life around 'alternative farming,' this event made sense as the one we attended. The reaping started with a food blessing ceremony and concluded with music, dancing, and 'recreational activities' that I made a personal goal to avoid.

I tried to keep an open mind about the pack's medicinal marijuana, but failed at neutrality. I couldn't hold back my judgmental feelings over the lack of actual medical benefits, which I knew was wrong but couldn't restrain my sentiments.

After Jonah told me their medicinal marijuana could be slotted into any food recipe, like an idiot I inspected my meals.

"Zara, if there was pot in there then you couldn't tell." Raina laughed at my sniffing a breakfast bagel. She reached over and held up the back of its package. "But since it says 'Made in the Southern Territory,' then I think you're safe."

"Oh." My cheeks warmed as I ignored Cole's snickering on the other side of Elena.

As for Elena, she gave me a small smile. We'd been polite and friendly at every encounter but were still awkward and distant. She still spent all her time in the library, although now I didn't know what she read through.

The night of the reaping ceremony, I decided that our status quo needed to change. Despite being friends for two months, how she was present but not active in my life felt odd and displaced.

'Elena, you there?' I mindlinked her, wrapped my towel from the shower around my chest tightly, and headed into my closet.

'Yes,' she replied. 'Everything okay?'

'Other than I have no idea what to wear, can we talk?' I rubbed myself dry and looked through a few options. 'Are you free?'

'Something comfortable.' Her tone sounded tired. 'Finishing getting ready myself. I'll be there in five minutes.'

'Thanks.'

While I waited, I dressed in my underwear and bra, yanked up a pair of stockings, and pulled a long black maxi skirt and loose-fitting top down from their hangers. Wearing them, I was towel-drying my hair when she knocked on the door.

'Come in.' I stepped into a pair of flat sandals as the door opened.

"Hi," she breathed out, stepping into my room wearing a flowing shirt and loose pants. Stopping inside, she stuffed her hands into her pockets and offered a shaky smile.

"Hey." I sounded as tentative as she did.

Inspecting her appearance, she looked... terrible. The long hours in the library basement, with the stale air and lack of natural light, took a toll on her. Her skin was two shades paler and dark circles pressed under her brown eyes.

"Thanks for the clothes advice." I stepped out of the closet and walked over to Elena. She sat down on the edge of my bed, the small room's only option. Sitting next to her, I drew a deep breath. "Saying this has been a really rough trip would be an understatement."

"Zara." She looked down at her hands, threading and unthreading her fingers. "I'm so sorry. I... I should have told you that I'm from this territory. Before I left here, I was sworn to say nothing to your father, but not telling you was wrong. I should have told you once we could mindlink."