Chapter 3-7

The smell of wet dog and pheromones lingered in my bedroom the next morning. It told me sleeping in Raina's room that night was a good idea. She was surprised when Elena knocked on her door with my bedding and she made me sleep on the floor. But once she heard what I'd done to Torak and understood I didn't want to sleep in Cole and Elena's room, she welcomed me in with no hesitation.

Torak's reputation of being a player hadn't reached me in the infirmary. Despite being 'quite taken' with me, he also made a pass at Raina the second night we were here. She was a bit more direct, took him by the throat and threatened to remove every reproductive organ from his body if he so much as looked in her direction again.

I slept very sound that night, even on the floor of her room.

He got what he deserved from both of us.

Smiling to myself, I walked across the hall back to my room that morning. I showered and dressed to avoid being late for my first appointment with Luna Rashida. After a quick breakfast in the kitchen, I spotted Beta Valko refilling a large coffee cup and headed over to his side.

"There's the trouble-maker," he greeted me with a wide smile.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I couldn't have hidden the smile on my face no matter how hard I tried.

"Funny pup," he returned my smile with a chuckle. "Whole pack is howling at the idea of you tossing my nephew into the lake last night."

"He needed to cool off a little," was all I replied. I wasn't sure if everyone knew we were caught shirtless together in my bedroom, but I wasn't going to spread that information.

"Fair enough. I was coming to get you." He capped off his cup. "Do you want a cup?"

"No thanks." I shook my head. "I'm not a coffee person."

"You might need a little kick to get through a library session with my sister." He smiled to suggest today would be a long day. "She's been known to go all day if needed, have meals sent down there. I also think she's ready to adopt Elena."

"I'm not surprised." I smiled, running a hand through my hair as my eyes scanned the breakfast spread laid out on the kitchen island. Seeing a stack of donuts, I wrapped two chocolate ones in a napkin and stuffed them in my pockets.

"Ready, Miss Zara?"

I nodded and followed him out the kitchen. We walked down another set of cream-walled hallways, away from the packhouse bedroom space. From two steps behind, my nose twitched at the smell of his coffee.

"Beta Valko?" I cleared my throat. "I know usually the Beta works for the Alpha, is that how it works here?"

His spine stiffened but he kept walking and nodded. "If you assume that Alpha Stephan assigning me and Seb to be Rashida's personal security is working for the alpha, then yes, I work for the alpha."

"Why would she need personal security?" My eyebrows drew together as we turned down a long hallway toward what I assumed was the library. I couldn't tell anymore.

All these walls look identical.

"Like the other packs, we train our warriors," he muttered. "But at the risk of sounding weak, most of our pack engages in non-combat activities. Alpha Stephan and Luna Rashida split routine alpha-beta responsibilities. Seb and I offer our assistance, but also serve as Rashida's security."

"I see." I hummed, with no idea what 'routine alpha-beta responsibilities' involved. I assumed from observing the Silverback pack that included the security-related details Lucus was in charge of.