Chapter 2-10

Two hours later, I served my last kitchen shift and surrendered my apron to Lou.

"Zara." Aspen rested a small hand on my shoulder as I washed my hands from the last round of dishes. My hands were so wrinkled, like they belonged to an eighty year old woman.

I mean wolf.

I'll get it eventually.

I patted Aspen's hand with mine, although her touch felt unpleasant to me.

In a soft, meek voice, she offered, "I know you were doing this for punishment, but thanks for your help this week."

Oh, so you could flirt with Lucus the entire time?

I wanted to scream those thoughts at her. Instead, I pressed my lips into a false smile and nodded, then shook her hand off my shoulder.

"About Lucus..." Clasping her hands, she looked down at them. "I know what I am, he's the future Alpha. I'm nothing. Despite what you saw, I won't... stand in your way."

"Aspen..." I put a hand under her chin and guided her gaze up until she looked me in the eye. "What kind of person, I mean wolf, would I be if I went against the Goddess' natural selection? You are what his wolf wants, your bond would always be stronger than anything he and I would share. So, tell him to come to my room after dinner tonight."

Her eyes fell, and I groaned at what my words implied and corrected myself, "Only to talk to him," I reassured her and lowered my hand. "We'll figure this out, but as far as I'm concerned... He's yours."

She didn't say anything, but her eyes brightened as they studied mine.

"One more thing." I sighed. "Don't ever call yourself nothing. You're not. You're the future Luna of the Silverback pack, that's something special."

"Thank you, Zara." She surged forward, wrapping her thin arms around me. "I... I didn't expect you to be so kind about this."

"Ehh... thanks." My spine stiffened and I patted her back until she released me.

"Goodbye, Aspen." I plastered the biggest, brightest, and most fake smile that I mustered on my lips.

Definitely time to go.

Later that evening, dinner was uneventful. Alpha Faelen made a speech about house alignments, during which Lucus looked like he wanted to be sick and I tried my best not to glare daggers at him.

During our meal, I ate nothing, Raina picked at her food, and Cole and Elena were engrossed in each other. Gamma Jameson eyed me from across the table, smirking.

At one point, I mindlinked Elena that we needed to leave and asked her to make discreet arrangements for us to depart the next morning. Her eyes widened, but she nodded then mindlinked Cole. I gave both a smile and slumped in my seat when they dismissed themselves.

Baron left the Northern territory two days after my training incident. While I was happy to not have his unpleasant presence around, I couldn't help but wonder how my father would react to the news of when I attacked two Northern pack warriors during practice and that Lucus was not my mate. Knowing pride wasn't on the list of his potential reactions, I wasn't sure of the extent of his displeasure.

Raina and I attempted to speak with the rogue again, but Lucus kept him too heavily guarded. He gave the appearance that he didn't trust his own sister, denying her access as well as me. It led to a fight between them that rattled the hallway with their snarling and wrestling.

While I sat alone in my thoughts at the last dinner, Cole made the security arrangements for the rogue's transport and Elena tended to more personal matters, like informing the Eastern territory pack that we'd arrive four days earlier than planned.