Chapter 1

Year: 2019

I lit the cigarette and brought it to my busted lips.

It was painful but usually, I didn't feel pain. I was more or less numb.

After all my brothers left me alone with the monsters who I had the curse of calling my parents and without question, I realised that no one really loved me.

I listened to the scuffling of my parents feet and the shouts from someone else.

I, Mia-Luna Romano was listening to another argument and I knew it wouldn't be long before my bedroom door slammed open and my parents entered, ready to unleash their anger on to me.

I stubbed the cigarette properly before putting it down the trash chute.

Janice took the trash out and she would never bait me out. Never. I mean she even smoked with me sometimes.

I opened my laptop and made a quick check before I would get another beating.

I looked at my bank account to see a hefty amount of money, my own money. I can't say it was earned in a pretty way but it was a beautiful sight.

I shut the laptop and hid it and sat waiting for my mother to enter.

5

4

3

2

1

The huge door swings open and I'm met with a red faced man.

"You, come with me. Now!" I stand up, walking up to him.

He yanks my hair and waits for my reaction.

I look at him expectantly.

He looks confused but he shakes it off before dragging me to the study.

He stops outside and gestures for me to go inside.

I step inside, shutting and locking the door before I turn around and face my only demons.

"Sit down." My father, Mario says and I do so.

"We've decides to make a huge business deal, it involves you girl. We're selling you and we're getting a million from it. Beautiful isn't it, I know you'd finally come in handy one day. You're useless at everything else." Mercedes, my mother says.

A million was light work, my earning after a low paying job.

"Guess I'm not seeing you guys anymore." I say looking at them.

They look at each other, cruel smiles gracing their faces.

"Yes and that means it's time for one last beating." My mother says.

The chair I'm sitting on clicks and I'm suddenly handcuffed to it and I prepare for my beatings.

I force the tears out of my eyes and I get ready to scream. I did feel pain but I didn't care to show it, when it wasn't my parents.

I scream and scream and scream but I don't feel anything.

They're done 20 minutes after and I stop fake crying, wiping my tears as the chair unlocks. I stand up.

"Stop. You need to pack, pack everything, we don't want to see a trace of you left here. We're leaving this house after you're gone." They say.

"Your brothers, who trust me, are so much better than you are going to come and live here." Mercedes says and I just look at her.