CHAPTER THREE: We Have to Lie Like Always

ALISON'S HOUSE

"Someone did die the night the RV blew up," Mona told the others.

"Who?!" they all asked.

"Ray Hogadorn."

Everyone let this linger for a moment.

"So the Professor killed one of the people they were using for the experiment," Ava said.

"But why? The Professor said they had no choice but to kill Nolan, and they didn't like it," Alison replied.

Then, all their phones rang. They looked at each other, knowing who it was.

"The Devil's ears are burning," Dylan said.

"I'll answer," Caitlin said, reaching for her phone to answer the call from herself.

"Hello?" she asked.

"I can see that you all believe you can stop this. You can't. Ray Hogadorn was a threat to the experiment who needed to be eliminated immediately. You're right, Alison. I don't like killing, but only if it's necessary. The experiment must continue," the Professor said.

The tormentor hung up.

"The Professor doesn't like killing people. That's a relief," Ava said.

"But they'll do it if they have to, which is enough for me. We have to end this before one of us, or all of us, makes a mistake," Dylan said.

"I don't think it'll be that easy, Dylan. I've played this game before, and it doesn't end in days, weeks, sometimes even months," Mona replied.

"This game is different, Mona. This isn't a teenage girl getting revenge against her high school bully and her friends, this is someone twisted enough to use people's secrets to get what they want," Alison said.

"What does the Professor want? Why are we the ones in the their creepy...'experiment,' or whatever they want to call it?" Caitlin asked.

"I don't know. But the sooner we deal with other things, the sooner we can figure it out. Unfortunately, we don't have any leads."

"What about the person that killed Andrew? Are we still supposed to believe that the Professor didn't kill him?" Dylan asked.

"If the Professor killed Andrew, then maybe they have a motive besides the experiment. Andrew wasn't a part of it as far as we know, so maybe the Professor had their own agenda," Mona suggested.

"Which would mean that if we name the people who had a reason to kill Andrew, we could also have a list of who the Professor is!" Ava added.

"Exactly. I have a suspect I can try and look into already, so we're off to a good start."

"Alright, guys. I think that's enough for today. We all need a break from this, so we can pick things back up tomorrow. Sound good?" Alison asked.

Everyone agreed.

5 MINUTES LATER