CHAPTER NINE: I Need Some Space

ALISON'S HOUSE

"What's been going on, guys?" Dylan asked.

Alison, Ava, Mona, and Caitlin looked at each other, not knowing how to explain what they had done.

"Uh, Luke. Do you mind leaving, please?" Alison asked.

Luke started to turn around, but Dylan grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"Whatever you need to say to Luke you can say to me," Dylan objected.

"No, Dylan. We can't!" Ava replied.

Dylan then understood some of what was happening.

He looked at Luke.

"Can you wait outside for a minute, please?" Dylan asked.

"Yeah. Bye, everyone," Luke said before going back outside the house.

When he was gone, Dylan went into offensive mode.

"Is it the Professor? What did they do?" he asked.

"It's not necessarily what they did..." Caitlin replied, trailing off and not wanting to say anymore.

"Did you lie to me, Alison?" Taylor asked.

"No. We really do need your help. Just not with Dylan anymore," Alison replied.

"Why would you need help with me?" Dylan asked.

"We were trying to get the Beacon Guard footage from the night Andrew died so that we could prove you didn't do it," Mona answered.

"Oh. Then why do you guys look so worried?"

The girls exchanged stares again, but didn't speak.

"What happened since you visited me, Alison?" Taylor asked.

Alison sighed.

"Before we tell you...everything...you two need to promise not to freak out," she replied.

"Well it's hard not to freak out when you guys are acting like this," Dylan said.

"Dylan, we went to Taylor to get her released from RiverWell so that she could help us get you out of the police's custody and then help find out who the Professor is. But before she was actually out, the Professor called. They gave us a choice: you or her."

"What's that mean? Me or Dylan?" Taylor asked.

"The Professor would only let you leave RiverWell...if we gave up Dylan's chance at an alibi."

Silence hung in the air, as some tears rolled down Caitlin's face, knowing that she's hurt her best friend and someone she's known since she was a child.

"You-you what? You were willing to let me stay in jail and go away for murder?!" Dylan asked.

"Dylan, it's not that simple-" Caitlin said before being interrupted.