CHAPTER FIVE: We Have Our Number One Suspect

THE NEXT DAY

6:00 A.M.

UNKNOWN AREA

EMILY'S DINER

Someone walked into the diner, and saw a woman working near the kitchen to his left. 

They made eye contact, and she smiled.

"Hey, Pretty Eyes. It's seat yourself," the waitress said.

The person pointed to the corded phone on the wall next to them rather than picking a table.

"You need to use the phone? Go right ahead," the waitress said before getting back to work. 

The person picked up the phone and dialed a number.

3 HOURS LATER

DYLAN'S APARTMENT

The sound of a cellphone ringing awoke both Caitlin and Dylan.

"I swear to God if that's my phone again," Caitlin said, angrily grabbing hers to see if it had woken her up again.

It was Dylan's.

"It's mine," he said before answering.

"Hello?" 

"Mr. Walker, it's Officer Thomas with the Beacon Heights Police Department," Officer Thomas replied on the other line.

"Is everything okay?" 

"Yes, everything's fine. We have new updates about Mr. Villareal's case if you're interested in hearing them."

Dylan sat up straight at the exciting news.

"Yes. Yes, I'm interested."

"Unfortunately, I can't give out this sort of information over the phone, but if you'd like to come down to the station sometime today-"

"I'll be there in fifteen."

Dylan hung up and started to get dressed.

"Who was that?" Caitlin asked.

"The police. They said they have updates about Andrew's murder," Dylan replied.

"That's great! Are you going down there now?"

"Yeah. They could've caught his killer. I don't want to miss that."

"Of course not."

"Hey, why did you not want it to be your phone that was ringing?"

"Some numbers in California have been calling me for the past few hours and it's been waking me up. Probably just spam calls."

"Why don't you just block their number?"

"There's too many of them and it's not worth it. I think they're done now."