CHAPTER SEVEN: He Wasn't the Person You Thought He Was

ALISON'S HOUSE

"Ray thought Mason killed Nolan. Which would make him the Professor," Caitlin said.

"But we already went down this road before. We know that Mason didn't kill Nolan, so he couldn't be the Professor," Alison pointed out.

"Not necessarily. How much do we honestly believe the Professor? They might've killed Nolan or they could be lying about it."

"Who would lie about killing someone?" Ava asked.

Alison looked over at Mona with a knowing face.

Mona saw this.

"What? I wasn't going to let Hanna or her mom go to jail!" Mona defended herself. 

Caitlin and Ava knew that Alison and Mona's past was complicated, so they ignored this.

"That aside, why would Mason kill Nolan? It's not like he had a motive," Alison said.

"Unless there's one we don't know about. Maybe he was jealous of Dylan and Andrew and-" Caitlin replied, becoming suddenly stunned at what she remembered.

"What is it?" Ava asked.

"Mason and I were talking the other day, and he asked me if Dylan knew what Andrew did."

"What did Andrew do?" Alison asked.

"I don't know. He avoided it by saying he had to get to class."

"This seems a bit déjà vu, does it not? We accuse Mason of a murder only to find out that he had no part in it," Mona said.

"You're the one who brought us this information, Mona. What did you want us to do with it? Ignore it?" Ava asked.

"I'm just saying that we shouldn't be so quick to jump the gun again. We thought Luke did it, and we know that he didn't. He cares about Dylan so he wouldn't take away the one thing he loves."

"What if we ignore the theory that the Professor and Andrew's killer are the same person? Then could we say that there's a possibility that Mason killed Andrew?" Alison asked.

"That sounds fair," Ava replied.

"Yeah," Caitlin agreed.

"Mona. What do you think?" Alison asked.

Mona thought about it for a moment, then sighed.

"I'm not in love with the idea, but it's the only thing we have to go off of right now," Mona replied.

"Great! Caitlin, you still talk to him, right?"

"Yeah. We have a class together tomorrow so it shouldn't be hard to talk to him."

"Okay. And please, don't knock him out or try to drug him this time."

THE NEXT DAY

DR. FIELDER'S CLASSROOM