Prologue

PROLOGUE (tris POV)

Hi my name is Tris Prior. I live on the coast of Australia- well kind of. You see I have a secret that only me and my brother Caleb know about. I'm a mermaid. When I touch water I grow a tail and I have to dry off to grow legs again. I wasn't always like this; it all happened one day when I was exploring the rocks with Caleb near my house and we found a cave. Seeing as we were only 8 years old at the time we decided to check it out which then lead to me falling in the water. Under the water was a little ring that was silver with a blue stone in the middle. I put it on and suddenly grew a tail. My brother's reaction was priceless. He started to say how illogical it was but I just looked at myself frozen.

Throughout the years Caleb and I have discovered what I can do with my powers and how to hide the secret well. I now wear my ring on a chain around my neck. My best friends and my parents all think that when Caleb and I went on that walk I almost drowned so I therefore now have and extreme phobia of it. I do admit it is hard lying to them sometimes but if the word got out that I was a mermaid I probably would be taken away to be experimented on. We are both now 16 and I have my life under some control until my dad decided to screw it all up.

"Kids we have something to tell you and I know your not gonna like it because you love this beach and this town so so so much and I hate to break it to you, but we are moving." At that moment I realised how difficult it is going to be trying to be a mermaid in a different place to my home. "Where exactly are we moving dad?" I ask

"We are moving to California In the USA." What, my life is over! What if my body like screws up or something because I'm not at home. This could be dangerous but I can't do anything about it.