Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1 (tris POV)

Saying goodbye was hard but now that I'm in America it isn't all that bad. Our house is right on the beach which is perfect for me! My room has the perfect view of my new home in the water aswell! Caleb an I decided to go for a walk along the beach. I take in my surroundings and just stand still and listen to the waves crash onto the shore. "Caleb do you think it would be okay for me to jump into the water and check it out?" I ask him.

"Well considering no one else is in site I guess it would be alright."

I do one last check over my shoulder for other people and as I'm about to dive I hear laughter and chatter coming from behind me. I suddenly jump back from the water just incase I get splashed and start to flop around like the fish I really am.

"Hi! I haven't seen you before have I? Are you new? OMG where are you from? Are you two dating?" A girl with mocha skin asks. God she is like a motorboat. Just keeps talking.

"yeah we are new. We are from

Australia and EW he is my brother!" I answer the girl's many questions.

"OMG that's so cool! Australia wow Im in LOVE with your accent!!!!" A tall boy with dark skin states.

"Sorry about my brother Uriah he can get over excited!" A boy who looks just like Uriah but a couple years older says.

"Well thanks you know you guys have accents too right?" I ask them

I see Uriah pretend to be shocked and we all just laugh.

"Well my name is Caleb and this is tris! Nice to meet ya!" Caleb then finally introduces us properly.

"Well I'm Zeke that's Uriah, Christina (the talkative one), my girlfriend shauna, uri's girlfriend Marlene, Christina's boyfriend will, shaunas little sis Lynn and that's four he is lonely and emotionless." Zeke points to everyone and I couldn't help but laugh at the comment he made about four. I notice he is staring right at me with his deep blue eyes. What is his problem?

"Cool nice to meet you all! What are you guys doing?"

Well we are going for a swim but four doesn't like to swim because he had some accident when he was little and now is terrified of it! Weird right? Anyway would you like to join?" Christina asks

"I would but I think I'll just stay on the beach with four but Caleb can join you." They all give me weird looks but Eventually shrug it off and jump in the water. I sigh thinking about how much I would love to join them but I just can't. I go and sit next to four on the beach.

"Can I ask why you were staring at me before?" I ask four. He is a bit intimidating but I guess that's just his personality. He doesn't answer. Oh well, I just keep watching my newly found friends until I suddenly hear a deep voice next to me say, "where do you find that ring?" What??? Why would he want to know that? "Is that why you were staring at me earlier?" I ask back.

"Just answer the question." He snaps at me. Slightly scared I answer his original question with a Shaky voice. "Agh well um I found on the beach that was outside my house in Australia, why?" I'm starting to get nervous. Why am I nervous around him. Like I get asked this question all the time. What makes this different. His deep blue eyes have some sort on mystery to them I just get lost in them for a while until I'm brought back to reality by fours low but soothing voice. "Well I just think it's quite pretty and very unique." I see the corner of fours lip move upwards indicating a half smile. I turn back to the water and see that the gang as I will now call them are getting out of the water and they run over to us dripping wet and I notice my heart rate speed up. Four suddenly gets up and walks back a bit so I decide to follow him so I can back away from the water. "Guys you really should come in the water is amazing!" Marlene exclaims "well maybe some other time but right now Caleb and I need to get back to our parents we kind of ran off while they were unpacking!" Everyone laughs but we exchange numbers before I drag Caleb back to the house. When we are out of hearing distance from the group I start to talk to Caleb. "Um Caleb there is something about four that is different. I can see it in his eyes. He also was very interested I'm my ing which was strange and did you see the way he backed away when you guys came out of the water?" "Really? Huh do think he is like you? Like merman or something?" Caleb asks back. "Well maybe they did say that he doesn't go in the water right?" "Yeah i guess but maybe we are just thinking about it too much, he is probably just a normal guy." "Hmmm I guess your right Caleb I could be reading this all wrong!" We reach the house and help our parents with the rest of the unpacking.

School starts in a week so I decided to go for a swim and check out my new home in the water. I got up as the sun was rising so I could sneak out. Once I hit the water I feel so free. I glide through the crystal clear water getting deeper and further away from the beach with the help of my beautiful long purple tail. I reach the coral reef and start to look around, it's amazing the vibrant colours and fish that I haven't seen before are incredible! I spot a dolphin and decide to swim along side it for a while, making a new friend. A while past so I thought that I should head back considering no one knows I'm out here. I wash up onto shore behind a rock so no one sees me and then evaporate all of the water on my body using the power in my hands. I am then dried and returned to my human form. I walk through the door to my house only to be met with the worried look on my brothers face. "Caleb chill I went for a swim to check out the area!" I whispered just in case my parents were around. "Well you could of at least told me! I was worried sick!" I try not to laugh at my brother because I know he is just really over protective. I head back up to my room to prepare myself for my new life here In California.