Chapter 3

I grew tense when I smelt someone in my tent, my heart pounding with fear. I had no idea who it was, and I prayed that it wasn't Cooper because I wasn't ready to face him yet. I took a deep breath and walked in only to scowl at the male lying on my bed, reading a book.

"And they lived happily ever after, the end," the male, Andrei, said, closing the book. He placed it on the rickety old nightstand that I had in my room. An easy-going smirk appeared on his face, and my heart skipped a beat. "What is this "running" off I heard about?" he asked, sitting up and raising an eyebrow.

I took a deep breath and relaxed when I saw it was him. "I wanted to watch them work," I said, honestly. I walked over to my bed and sat down beside him. "I want to help, to learn, but Alpha Cooper says no and that it is dangerous."

"Well..." Andrei began, and I glared at him with an open mouth. He gave me a pointed look, and I closed my mouth without commenting. "He isn't wrong. You don't know how to fight someone that had intense training before, and you still are not able to shift into your wolf form."

I gave him a weird look. I had not told anyone about what I did in the small alcove because I knew that someone would tell Cooper. "How do you know that I had been trying to train?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him suspiciously. "Does he-"

Andrei shook his head, no. "Cooper doesn't know," he said. "And I will not tell him." Anger filled his stormy gray-blue eyes, and it made them look darker than they usually were. His whole body grew tense, and I could feel the anger coming off of him in waves. "I do not understand why he will not let you train with someone." His voice wavered, and I could hear a small snarl in his voice.

Excitement bubbled in my chest as I turned to look at him expectantly. I was happy that he knew about me learning how to fight and prayed that he would help me train better than Fernos. "Can y-" I shut my mouth when he offered me a small, sad smile and shook his head.

"No," he said softly. "I can't. I am not allowed." He moved a hand through his short hair and sighed, looking tired and guilty.

My heart sank, and I looked down. I had no idea why I had hoped that he would, but I did, and I became disappointed. "Oh," I said softly, and my voice barely became a whisper.

Andrei took my hand in his, and my heart skipped a beat before it pounded faster and faster in my chest. He knew that I had a huge crush on him, but he had never made a move on me. He had told me that he thought of me as his little sister, even though he was way older than me. "Don't give up hope," he said, and I scoffed and rolled my eyes. He gave me a pointed look, and I looked down guiltily. "I am serious, Carrie. Don't give up hope."

I looked up at him and narrowed my eyes while I pursed my lips in disgust. "Oh, and why should I not give up hope?" I asked, my voice shaking from anger. "No one will teach me how to fight, and everyone is scared of Cooper." Anger filled my body, and I growled. I hated how everyone was afraid of him and followed his orders, even though they knew it was a bad idea.

"I am not scared of Cooper," Andrei said softly. He gave me a pointed look, and I closed my mouth without commenting. "However, I have been told to listen to him. Someone soon will not put up with what he says and will disobey his orders."

"Oh, ya?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. I took my hand from his and folded my arms across my chest. I narrowed my eyes and scowled, and he raised an eyebrow in question. "And when will this be?"

Andrei looked forward, his eyes getting this weird look in them. "When the Earth orbits around the Sun eighteen times and the stars align, hope will arrive when all hope seems lost. The one with fire in her heart and water in her veins will show the way and save the day. And, give everlasting peace to a dying heart."

I gave him a weird look, and he shrugged his shoulders and grimaced.

"The old prophet, before she died, gave me that prophecy," he said, shrugging again. "I don't know who it is, but she sounds important."

"More important than me?" I asked, cocking my head.

"Maybe," Andrei replied. "If not at the same level as you. Without you, there will not be a need for hope. You are very important."

I took a deep breath and nodded my head, feeling the weight of the world on my shoulders. I had no idea who this girl was, but I prayed that she would help me bring peace and hope.

I was going to need hope if I was the one to give it to others.