Chapter 8: ...Begins with a Single Step

The next day Simba wakes up earlier than normal. He stretches as he looks around the den and notices that Kion is not currently present, although he knows he saw Kion in the den last night. He exits the den and heads to the overlook and looks out over the Pride Lands. He looks down to the watering hole nearby and sees Kion and Fuli talking. He decides to head down to
check on Kion, make sure he is doing ok.

"It's weird not going on patrol," Kion explains to Fuli. "Wish I could go with you guys, what am I supposed to do all day?"

"Spend some time with Kiara and your family. Get some rest and relax. Keep the Tuliza close in case of..."

"My scar yea." He looks away from her with a sadden expression. She realizes she's hit a sensitive spot, and tries to fix her mistake.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that.

"It's fine, it's just..how do you think I look with it?" Fuli was taken aback by the lion's question. She never really noticed the scar, or at least, she never really cared that he had it.

"If you want me to be honest, sometimes I forget you have it. The scar doesn't define you Kion, it never has and it never will. But if you want me to tell you how it affects your appearance, it definitely doesn't make you any less attractive." She winks and gets Kion's goofy smile to return.

"Thanks Fuli, you always know what to say." He leans over and nuzzles Fuli before they hear someone approaching them. They quickly separate from each other as they see Simba make his way toward them.

"Your highness," Fuli says she bows.

"Relax Fuli, I'm just here to check on my son. Kion, I know you were up pretty late, and I see you are up very early, did you sleep ok?"

"If you can call it sleep. Let's just say I went to bed with the moon at the peak of its path, and was up before the sun rose."

Both Fuli and Simba looked at Kion with extremely surprised expressions. But Kion didn't show any signs of exhaustion. He instead was fairly energetic, like his normal self.

"Kion you need some sleep, and as the current lion guard leader, I order you to get some sleep."

"And as the king, and your father, I command you to get some sleep as well. I'm confident Fuli and the lion guard will be just fine, they are the best in the Pride Land." He looks at Kion who drops his head in defeat.

"Fine, good luck Fuli, if you guys..."

"Kion." Both Simba and Fuli say in unison. They look at each other and laugh as Kion turns and makes his way back to Pride Rock. Fuli turns and looks at Simba.

"I won't let you down your highness." She bows again.

" I never had any doubt Fuli, good luck." He leaves the waterhole and heads toward Rafiki's tree. When he arrives, Rafiki was already at the bottom of the tree, teaching Makini how to defend herself with her bakora staff. When he sees Simba, he gladly greets the old friend.

"Ha Ha, how are you your highness? What brings you all the way out here?" Simba loved Rafiki's over the top personality, and loved how it came paired with his resourcefulness and his wisdom.

"I came here because I wanted to talk about Kion's scar." Rafiki's smile faded into a more serious expression.

"Yes, he and Fuli stopped by yesterday and I have him some Tuliza, that should help for now."

"For now?" Questions Simba. "Are you saying.."

"Yes I am, if not treated, he will become just like Scar."