Chapter #7

Chapter 7- Unedited

Zuri

I couldn't believe this.

There were so many things I thought possible in this world, but not what I was seeing right before my eyes.

Bea had asked me to meet the man she kept gushing about and after a couple of days, I had agreed. But nothing would have prepared me for whom I met as her man.

Gedeon was my best friend's boyfriend. What he was playing at was beyond me.

We were in the coffee shop just a few minutes from our campus. Bea and Gedeon, or should I say, Devin, were seated across me.

"So Zuri, this is Devin. Devin this is my best friend Zuri." Bea introduced us with a smile on her face.

With the fakest smile I could master, I shook Gedeon's hand, ignoring the sparks I felt from the touch. "Nice to finally put a name to a face."

His grey eyes watched me closely before he nodded. "Nice to meet you too."

I was confused. Three days ago, when Gedeon had come to my room, I thought we had shared a connection. There was really no denying the connection between us, or maybe I had been delusional, I don't know. But there was something and now here he was, sitting next to my friend, being her boyfriend.

"You guys do not understand how much I'm happy you've met." Bea beamed. She was so happy that I felt sorry for her. Even if Gedeon and I had no connection, there was no denying he was the angel of death and will eventually disappear.

"Me too." Gedeon said, planting a kiss on Bea's cheek. She giggled, and I felt a pang in my heart.

"So Zuri are you seeing anyone?" Gedeon asked, looking at me. He can't be serious.

"No, no one at the moment," I decided to just get this over and done with. The sooner I get out of here, the better. It was late in the afternoon anyway, and I had to go meet Marquis and then go home to rest.

"Still haven't decided what you will do about the professor?" Bea asked.

"Isn't there a rule against that?" Gedeon asked, taking a sip of his coffee.

I stared at him for a while before replying. "There probably is, but I thought I should go to the dinner and see what he wants."

I saw a muscle tick in Gedeon's jaw and his eyes turned dark as I said this.

Bea giggled. "I think you should go too and of course, I won't tell anyone."

"Even Sam?" I asked seeing as though she was her other best friend.

"Even Sam, I promise."

"Where are you meeting this professor?" Gedeon asked, his voice dark. When Bea turned to look at him, he cleared his throat. "You must make sure it's in a public place."

I look at him incredulously, like he couldn't find me if he wanted to. I'm sure he could sabotage the whole thing, even.

"Devin, you're so thoughtful." Bea kisses him on the cheek, I almost groaned.

"I'm not sure he'll pick the place." I told them. My phone chimed, indicating a text. I pulled it out and saw that Marquis was already waiting for me at Gen's place.

I finished my drink and grabbed my bag. "I have to go, I'm studying with Marquis. It was nice to meet you, Devin." I almost rolled my eyes at his fake name.

"You've been hanging out with them a lot these days, should I be worried?" Bea asked teasingly.

I give her a smile. "Nothing to worry about."