My Rant

Sorry but I feel like doing this.

In the past two years I have gotten a lot of comments at school like 'dance isn't a sport' or 'anyone can dance' or the worst 'dance is easy'.

Dance is an art form and a sport. Just because anyone can do it that doesn't mean they are good at it or it is not a sport. Anyone can do soccer or American football they don't have to be good at it to play it for fun. A sport is anything that competes and has physical exertion, and that means there are a lot of things that are downplayed just because you don't hit a ball or a puck. Cheerleading is a sport, gymnastics is a sport, dance is a sport, heck even marching band could be considered a sport do to the definition of a sport. Check the media for a exact definition. Dancers are always downplayed on their athletic ability because dance is apparently not a sport. If you think dance is easy then try turning on the tips of your toes in shoes made of wood and glue while keeping your core strong, legs straight, and other foot pointed and having perfect technique. Try dancing in a physically draining dance that makes you want to pass out while keeping a smile on your face. Try to remember all the corrections you get and try to fix them the next minute when you do the combination on the other side so you have to flip it while still thinking about corrections. Try dancing for 8 hours straight during a rehearsal on a day you should be sleeping in. Try waking up early on a Saturday to get to dance. Try having thirty seconds to change backstage between physically and emotionally draining dances. Try injuring yourself and still dancing in a show you worked on for months and you don't want to miss it. That is the life of a dancer. Our sport is one of the hardest, yet we are not appreciated for it. If you see a dancer after performing congratulate them for getting through a hard show. To the people who say dance is easy I dare you to try and take a professional class. You will discover we work hours upon hours to make it look easy, but it is not easy at all. It takes years of training and focus to get where you want to be. Please appreciate dancers. We work hard in the entertainment industry.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

Sorry about the rant I had to get that out of my system.

I Don'T KNow WhAt TO wrItE Or the RiGHt waY to WriTE iT.
~author out.