Chapter Seven - Hello, Butterfly

A/N

So, I'm sorry for not updating. My family came down with the BIG bad stomach flu. Hopefully I'll make up for it soon though. Here's an update!!

_________________________________________________________________

I sat down in a room, pacing. It was too late to go to the police.

And so I must keep quiet to protect David.

I could hear footsteps as Beth came up behind me. "Hey. Mom told me to get my *ss in school. Doc says it'll be fine for me to be away from her for a bit, because she's stable. They'll call if anything changes. So whatcha reading?"

I jumped and shoved the letter in my back pocket. "None of your business."

I knew Beth wouldn't be able to let it go though. She wasn't the type to do things like that.

"Show me."

I ripped my arm away from her as she tried to grab it. "No."

She pulled and pulled and I pushed her away. "I love you Beth, but no."

She stopped and stared at me. Her jaw dropped as she put her hands over her mouth.

I looked for the picture as I realized there was no way on earth she could see it. "What are you staring at?"

She pointed at my arm. "You promised me that you stopped." She whispered. Her face was ashen and her eyes were watery.

I immediately felt ashamed as I remembered our promise. I wouldn't cut and neither would she. I was a good year and a half clean before I did it again. "Beth.... I forgot. Honestly. My parents had just died. Can you blame me?"

Beth looked down and then she looked back at me. "I nearly lost you last time!" she yelled, "It may've been the only thing that you thought would relieve your pain, but you nearly died! You nearly left me here and left me alone to do what? Let him get his way? What would've happened to me had you cut too deeply?"

My face turned red as I lost control. "He's dead now! You would've been fine!"

"What if I was the one nearly cutting myself to death? Huh? Think about it Sapphire!"

"You'll never understand!" I yelled, running. Running out and away, as far as possible.

She wasn't the one with problems. She wasn't the one who had a demon for an older brother.

She wasn't the one whose problems were ignored.

And she certainly didn't have weird mixed up feelings for a guy and she wasn't being stalked either.

"Sapphire, wait!"

I ran to my place in the trees outside of the school. My safe place.

I had kept secrets from her before and she would never know them.

I wished Mom was still around. She was the one who cared. She's the one who kicked Larson out. She was the one who helped me get him in jail.

But Beth was the one who had helped me with my problem that had come as a result. She always thought it was a result of Jordan Powell, my first boyfriend.

And I had helped her when she was being taken advantage of. And he would be in jail too, had it not been for him finding out and committing suicide.

Her demon was dead. Mine were multiplying. Lars was in jail. The stalker wasn't. I was still in trouble. She wasn't.

I softly placed my hand over an etching in the tree trunk as I closed my eyes, hiding in the hollow.

"Lars, I don't want to." I said, backing away. I was only ten, while he was 14. I was still young and naïve, knowing nothing of the dangers of the real world.

He smiled at me and cooed. "Come here butterfly."

I shook my head and ran out of the room. Running, running, running as I heard footsteps behind me.

He was right behind me.

"I told you to come here."

"Sapphire!"

A scream curled through the air, snapping me out of my horror.

"Sapphire! Someone, help!"

Oh no.

"Beth?"

I shot up and ran after the dull gray van, a sinking feeling coursing through my heart as I knew my efforts wouldn't be enough.

That's when I heard honking and screams, and I looked behind me in horror as I felt myself flying through the air as all went black.

~ Third Person POV ~

David handed the woman her receipt as he heard screams and honking. Seconds later a man ran into the store.

"Someone call 911! A girl ran out into the street and got hit by a car!"

David stopped and pointed the man towards the phone. "Where?"

"In front of the school."

He ran out the door and into the street, seeing the crowd surrounding a girl as sirens started to scream in the distance.

"What happened?" David asked as he pushed his way through the small crowd. And then his eyes fell upon the girl's broken and bleeding body.

"Oh God no. Sapphire? Can you hear me?" he asked, leaning next to her.

A woman leaned forward. "You know her?"

"She's my girlfriend." He replied, checking for a pulse. "Sapphire, can you hear me? It's David."

David felt for a pulse and was relieved to feel one, ever so faint. "Where the hell is the ambulance?"

The sirens screamed louder and louder as the ambulance parked and the paramedics came. David backed away, his hands covered in blood, and his skin crawling.

"We need to call Care-Flite in here. She's critical."

"Where are you taking her?" David asked. He couldn't help it. He'd take the day off.

"Downtown. The Methodist hospital." One replied.

David ran and hopped in his car, one thought on his mind.

If anything bad happens, I'm going to kill the driver.

~ Hours Later ~

"How is she?" a man asked. I could hear people moving around me and whispers.

"She's lucky she isn't dead. The car swerved just in time to avoid killing her. However, the impact crushed her ribs and caused her to miscarry."

I tried to open my mouth as I heard the doctor speak.

Miscarry? I was pregnant?

I tried moving as I opened my mouth once again. "I was pregnant?" I squeaked, trying to open my eyes.

"Any idea how far along she was?" he asked.

"We're not exactly sure. It's a little hard to tell because of past miscarriages or abortions. Our best guess is around maybe eleven weeks."

I opened my eyes and saw the back of the man's head as he spoke with the doctor. No one I recognized.

So I closed my eyes and curled into my pillow as I heard someone leave the room and someone walking to my bed.

"Hello, Butterfly."