Chapter Thirteen - He's Watching... And He's Waiting

A/N

I left a lot of hints leading to this chapter. Hopefully something hasn't sat right with you and you'll start seeing things and answers here.

Vote || Comment || Fan || Promote!!!

------------------------------------------------------

Zack watched quietly as he sat in his car, observing a target carefully. She was holding a baby on her hip and talking to a man sitting across from her.

"Do you have to go?" she asked. Zack pressed his ear against his headphones, eager to hear every word.

"I can't avoid it. They need me." The man said, looking out the window. He slipped something from the drawer and went to the front of the house.

He opened the door and Zack grinned.

"What are you doing here Zack?" he asked.

Zack just smiled. "C'mon bro, we got to get going. Tom wants us back at base and he sent me just in case."

The man shook his head. "Marie needs me at home."

"Carter, you need to come. We may have a situation and the old nag says we have to suit up. Remember old Mr. Thompson?"

Carter groaned. "Please tell me you're kidding."

"Oh, it gets better. David's dating the daughter of his sister." Zack said, raising his eyebrows.

"And let me guess – David isn't one of us anymore and we have to take care of it?" Carter asked.

"Bingo! A point for the big bro!" Zack said, waving his pistol. "Five minutes."

Carter sighed and went into the house. "Marie, I have to go now. You need to take Walter and Bailey and go to Mom's as soon as I leave. Do you hear me?"

She nodded. "I always knew there was something going on with you."

Carter sighed. "You know it's for your own good."

She shook her head. "I know Carter. Now grab what you need and hurry."

Carter nodded, grabbing a suitcase out of the closet and opening the door. "I love you Marie."

"I love you too."

He hopped in the car and looked at Zack. "Do we really have to do this?"

"You're second guessing now? You're the one who beat up Chris and gave him to Madeline and her lackeys. You're the one who betrayed him. I didn't betray anyone. But you're too far in it to get out now." Zack said, driving.

Carter nodded. "So what's my role in the mission?"

"You're going to kill David."

~ Sapphire's POV ~

I looked up at the nurse as she walked in. Thankfully, it was a different one this time. "How are you feeling?"

I shrugged. "Could be better. Apparently I'm pregnant. And my guardians won't give consent, so I'm basically screwed. I'm not exactly sure how far along I am though – she left that part out?"

"She hit a few nerves did she?" the nurse smiled, "I'm Ana. I won't judge you or anything, and anything you say is confidential unless it's a threat to your health or safety. But anyway, if I had to guess, I'd say eleven weeks."

I looked at her. "Is there any way I could possibly know for sure?"

She nodded. "An ultrasound, but I'm not sure they'd do it with your ribs broken. I can ask though."

She flipped through the chart and looked at me. "Well, what do you know? Doc wants you to see our OBGYN for an ultrasound in the morning. He wants us to observe you first and foremost to watch the baby, and then to watch for signs of internal bleeding or anything else like that."

I smiled. "Yay!"

My nurse smiled back at me. "Sarcasm is one of the best medicines, I've heard."

I already liked her.

"Yeah, it's almost as good as knowing that my boyfriend is keeping a vast and mysterious secret from me." I said with a laugh.

"So is he the father?"

I shook my head. "Eleven weeks along puts me with my now dead ex. David and I are still on and off with whether we are actually boyfriend and girlfriend."

"Secrets are never good between a couple, you know that, right?" she asked as she checked my blood pressure.

"Yeah, I know. So how old are you anyway?" I asked.

She smiled at me as she took the cuff off. "Twenty six. Not too much older than you."

"I'm seventeen." I said, smirking.

She looked at me again and put away the various gizmo's she had pulled out. "If it makes you feel better you look older."

"So why nursing?" I asked, curious. She could've easily landed a job as a model.

"Because I always enjoyed fixing up my siblings as a kid." She smiled, "Do you have any siblings?"

"One. But let's not talk about him." I said right away. I bit my lip and put on a fake smile.

"Well, I have to go check on my other patients now, but if you need me, pull the cord."

She left the room and I looked out the window into the darkness.

Both of my demons are alive, well, and thriving. And David won't bother to tell me his secret.

But little did I know just how many demons I had yet to face.

~ 3rd Person ~

David walked with a smile to his apartment, praising God silently and looking around in the vast darkness.

He whistled as he pulled out his key, walking into the apartment and looked around. It was still minimal, but yet cozy and sufficient for his needs.

He looked at his computer and sighed as he sat in front of it.

"Is what Zack has been telling me true? Do you actually think you can betray me?" roared his father.

David looked at the screen and said firmly, "I'm done, Dad. I love her. And there is no way on earth I'm going to deliver your 'notes' anymore. It's wrong. You already had Zack do the dirty work – he can slip the next note."

"I thought so. By the way, I found out some interesting things about your 'girlfriend'. For instance, did you know that her name isn't Sapphire?" he grinned.

David's face turned ashen. "Why are you and Mom trying to get her?"

"You should know. We taught you well."

David shook his head. "No. She is off limits, do you hear me?"

His father shrugged with a crooked smile. "Fine. Just know," he said, turning around and switching on a computer screen, "you've just killed the real Sapphire and her pal Chris."

David's jaw dropped. "You told me that he was gone!"

His father just shrugged as he dropped the connection.

David's heart was racing.

He didn't kill Chris.

The guilt started to drop from his shoulders.

And then he realized something.

He could warn the others.