Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4

Yeonjun's POV

Yeonjun's POV

Hall of Mental Cultivation, Forbidden City
October 12, 1744

Eᴀʀʟʏ ᴍᴏʀɴɪɴɢ I was still handling the government business, state routine affair, reviewing memorandums. The tranquil ambiance of the study was gone when I heard the voice of Beomgyu( my head eunuch). "My Liege, the head of the Ministry of Revenue and Ministry of Rites has arrived," I returned my brush inside the gold embedded lacquer box beside me. "Let them in,"

Minister Zhou( Head of the Ministry of Rites) and Minister Huo (Head of the Ministry of Finance) paid their respects. I ordered the attendant beside me to serve tea to the ministers. They stood in front of me as if they were waiting for me to invite them to sit. My eyes looked at the polished-low-back armchairs in front of my study table.

"If we may, Your Majesty," Minister Huo bowed with his arms clasped together. "Your Majesty, we don't have to worry about financing the selection since the citizens paid the taxes for this month, and it's enough to cover the expenses, food, clothes, ornaments," Minister Huo gave me the list of clans and families who paid the taxes this month.

"Keep the work going, Minister Huo, how's the preparation for Spring Festival?" I smiled even though I was disappointed I was hoping we won't have enough finances to hold the selection.

"Your Majesty, It's going well Minister Huo did a great job handling the finance this year's Spring Festival will be the grandest since your soon-to-be consorts will participate in the festival with you," Minister Zhou cheekily smiled. "The Imperial Examination examinees are already preparing for the exam and the Outer Court would be lively once again," Minister Zhou handed me the scroll with numbers of the examinees.

"I see, this upcoming year would be my 6th year of reigning this Empire, and it's time to replace the officials," I looked over at Minister Zhou and Minister Huo.

"Yes, Your Majesty. I've already served the Empire for three long years it's time for me to hand down this position to the next head," Minister Huo solemnly replied.

"Your Majesty, I thanked the heavens for letting me serve you and the Empire, I have already served my purpose," Minister Zhou drank the tea the servant served moments ago.

"I saw your resolves and abilities, I would love to work with you once again. But only time will tell," I chuckled to ease the tension.

"The future is unknown," Minister Huo laughed at his statement. "I'll have to excuse myself since I have to send the finances to the Office of Staff Surveillance, Your Majesty," Minister Huo excused himself, and left my study room.

" My skin tingled hearing you calling me 'Your Majesty', Taehyun I heard your sister participated in the selection?" I gave him a teasing look.