Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 35

Ryujin's POV

Ryujin's POV

Hall of Mental Cultivation, Forbidden City
March 16, 1745

I ʙᴀʀᴇʟʏ sʟᴇᴘᴛ. Between getting in so late and the excitement over what was coming, it was impossible. I curled closer to Yeonjun, comforted by his warmth. I knew he was awake and was about to leave, I'd miss him, but at least I had the prospect of her living here with me to look forward to.

I wondered who would be leaving today as Lia said. It didn't seem polite to ask, so I didn't; but if pressed, I would guess it would be Haseul. Pinky and Somi were popular with the ministers and the public—more popular than I was—and Lia and Yeji had connections. I had Yeonjun's heart, and that left Haseul without much to hold on to.

I felt bad because I really didn't have anything against Haseul. If anything, I wished Yeji would go. Maybe Yeonjun would send her home since he knew how much I disliked her, and he did say he wanted me to be comfortable here. Yeonjun was already gone, I'm here alone in his room. I sighed, thinking of everything we did last night. I'd never imagined this was possible. How did I, Lee Ryujin fall for Qing Yeonjun? How did this happen when I decided that I wouldn't love another man if it's not Junkyu?

A tiny part of me throbbed. How would I explain this to Hyunjin? The thought made me want to cry. No matter what, I didn't want to lose Hyunjin's respect. I couldn't.

My maids didn't knock when they came in, which was typical. Yeonjun must have told them to dress me up here to avoid rumors sprouting up once again. They always tried to let me rest as long as I could, after the birthday banquet and last night's event, I certainly needed it. But instead of going to prep things, Nakyung went around to Yuna and gently patted her shoulder.

I rolled over to see Xiyeon and Chaeyoung with a garment silk bag. A new hanfu?

"Yuna," Nakyung whispered, "You should go back to Her Grace's palace."

Yuna's eyebrows scrunched but she slowly shook her head. "Can't I help Her Grace to dress?"

"No," Nakyung said sadly. "There's some important business this morning. You need to go back to Her Grace's palace to tend things right away."

"Important business?" I asked. Yeonjun didn't say anything, though. "What's going on?"

Nakyung looked to Xiyeon, and I followed her eyes. Xiyeon shook her head, and that seemed to be the end of it.

Confused but hopeful, I got out of bed, encouraging Yuna to go back to my palace. I gave her a big hug before she reluctantly left the room.

Once she left, I turned back to my maids. "Can you explain now that Yuna's gone?" I asked Xiyeon. She shook her head. Frustrated, I huffed. "Would it help if I commanded you to tell?"