Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 37

Ryujin's POV

Ryujin's POV

Imperial Infirmary, Forbidden City
March 17, 1745

Eᴠᴇɴ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ ᴛʜᴇ assistant physician tended to the sore and scolding spot behind my hairline where Yeji swung the teapot, I couldn't bring myself to grimace.

"Now, hold this cloth here, and that will help keep the swelling down, " he offered.

"Thank you, " I replied

"Also, you." The physician looked at Yuna. "Apply this to Her Grace's injured spot to avoid blisters on her neck."

"Yes, I will do so." Yuna bowed slightly and received the ointment from the physician.

The physician found Yuna's answer as plausible, so he nodded his head and gave me his well-wishes before excusing himself to report our (I and Yeji's) conditions to the Imperial Physician. I was about to corner Yuna to force her to help me get out of this bleak room, but I heard Yeji's pouty voice pierce through my room even though she was in the other room—I supposed, she opened the door to see Yeonjun—I rolled my eyes.

"Your Majesty, sweetheart!" She called, and I saw Yuna pretending to vomit that made me giggle.

Ten minutes or so had passed, Yeonjun's soft knock echoed around the small room. I didn't need to tell Yuna to open it since she did it with her own decision after opening the door, she bowed at Yeonjun and left the room leaving me alone with Yeonjun.

"How am I supposed to defend this, Ryujin?" He looked troubled nonetheless he smiled at me.

"Are you going to kick me out, then?" I played with a piece of the linen quilt while I waited for his answer.

"Of course not."

"What about that bit-" I stopped myself when I saw Yeonjun giving me a disapproving look. "Her?"

"No. You're all stressed after yesterday, and I can't hold that against you. I'm not sure my mother will accept that excuse, but that's what I'm going to say."

Certainly, she will accept that since she'll need my help as of now. I opened my mouth and paused. "Maybe you should tell her it was my fault. Maybe you should just send me home."

I need a break, I need to avoid a bigger problem even though I once again felt conflicted with both of them since Soobin's subtle confession. I need to leave, I can't drag myself deeper into the pit I dug. I'll find a different way to find the suspects who killed my brother and Junkyu, without Yeonjun's help.

"Ryujin, you're overreacting. . ." He looked startled and made his advances closer to my bed. His eyes and voice both tell the same story, startled.