Twenty Four

Courtney
     I had gone outside to grab something from my car. I was going to hang out with Olivia so she could hear all that happened.
     "Courtney? Is that you?" I heard a man's voice. I turned to see a taller guy standing over towards the entrance of the building. I didn't actually recognize him.
     "Yeah, I am very much Courtney. I'm sorry, do I know you from somewhere? Oh, you're a fan, aren't you?" I asked
     "Oh, no I'm not. Come on, don't tell me you don't remember me. It's me, Jake. You know, from middle school"
     "Jake? Uh....I don't...wait," this guy. It's Johnny. From my diaries. "Johnny?"
     "Who?"
     "Sorry, it's a long story. Wow, I never thought I'd see you after all that happened to us"
     "Yeah, uh, I didn't think so either. I kinda thought at times that you hated me for some reason"
     "Well, I did. But it's been years since middle school, so I don't really care about that stuff anymore," I walked up and hugged him, "Its great to see you again"

Shayne
     "Dude, they just hugged. You're not going to let that bring you down are you?" Damien asked.
     "A hug could mean anything. Plus, she didn't seem to mind that she was hugging some random guy we've never met. What if that was a boyfriend or whatever?"
     "Shayne, come on. Why would Courtney have a boyfriend after what happened between you guys? It was probably just someone she knew"
     "I guess you're right," I stood up and walked out the door with Damien. Courtney walked in with that guy and she was laughing.
     "Hey, guys," she said, "Guess who I found? It's Jake!"
     "Who?" Damien asked.
     "Johnny?"
     The guy from her diaries? The one who was an asshole towards her on multiple occasions? He's here?
     "Whoa, and his real name is Jake? Who would have known?" Damien shrugged.
     "I haven't seen him for a long time. He showed up outside while I was out there. I didn't recognize him because he looks different from before"
     "Damien. Johnny. We both played him when we read her diary entries. Remember how he acted towards her?" I asked him
     "Yes, but he seems fine now. I mean look, she doesn't look as miserable as she wrote about in her diaries"
     "That's what it might look like," I walked up to John- I mean Jake and held out my hand. "Nice to meet you, Jake. I'm Shayne, Courtney's good friend"
     "Hello, Shayne. I'm glad I could be here to meet you and your many other coworkers. You guys seem like nice people," he said shaking my hand.
     "Yeah, it's a real nice place. What brings you here anyway?"
     "Well, I just recently moved around here and decided to take a walk around when I noticed Courtney. Then I just thought I'd say hi"
     "I'll be right back, I need to go get something out of my car that I completely forgot to get," Courtney said, "Sorry"
     "Hey, while Courtney's out, why don't we talk for a bit, Shayne," Jake walked around with me. "Listen, I've got to say something to you. I know how you feel about Courtney"
     "What? I don't know what you mean"
     "Whatever. Look, I don't care how you feel about her. She chose me first and that's how it's gonna be. So do me a favor and stay out of my way"
     "Hey, man. You can't just come in here and talk to me like that. What's going on here?"
     "What the hell do you think? Courtney is mine and you're the only person standing in my god damn way"
     "Hey guys," Courtney came in and found us, "What are you doing over here?"
     "Oh, we were just chatting, right, Shayne?"
     "Sure" I got out of his grip and stood a bit away from him.
     "Well, I've got to get going now. My dog gets restless when I'm away for too long," Jake walked past me and Courtney.
     "Aww, you have a dog? That's so cute," Courtney caught up with him and started talking about dogs. Jake looked back at me and smirked. I glared at him as they both exited the building. This guy just comes here and starts being a dick to me. Why the hell does he still want her after all these years anyway?

Author's Note:
Oof. I probably didn't get Johnny exactly correct, but I tried my hardest. We'll soon be able to see if Shayne can work past Johnny and gain Courtney's love in the chapters to come!