Twenty Seven

Shayne
     It's been a few days since the carnival. I've been trying to forget about this whole being in love with Courtney thing. It doesn't help that she's been checking on me everyday to see if I'm okay.
     Her most recent Instagram post was of her and Jake together at some random place. Usually I'd say something dumb, but just seeing him with her made me not want to. I tossed my phone on the couch and got up to go to the kitchen. I grabbed the fridge handle and noticed a picture on the door.
     It was Courtney and I when we hosted Good Mythical Summer. We both had Stretch Armstrong in our hands and mine was stretched into a pretzel. I had a lot of fun that day.

The Next Day

     I had gone back to work Monday morning to see Courtney and Jake talking outside. I waved to Courtney and she waved back. Jake just kinda stared at me like he was gonna hurt me.
     "Hey, buddy. How are you feeling today?" Ian asked as I walked in.
     "I'm doing better. What do we have planned for today?" I asked
     "Well, we've got a few Every Blank Evers, some random sketches, and a Try Not To Laugh"
     "Cool," I found Damien typing away on his laptop and say next to him. "Hey, what are you working on?"
     "Nothing, just typing," he said, "I'm assuming you saw them outside?"
     "How could I not? They're literally standing in front of the door that we enter through," I leaned back on the couch and sighed heavily.
     "Hello, my boys," Courtney flopped down on a beanbag chair and Jake just stood there awkwardly.
     "Hey, Court," I leaned forward and poked her side. She sat up and batted my hand away smiling.
     "Did Ian say when we were filming today?" She asked.
     "He said later, but that could mean any time," Damien shut his laptop and placed it on a table next to him.
     "And that time is now," Ian came from behind us, "Come on, let's get moving"
     We all got up and followed Ian. Jake pulled me aside and had a strong grip on my arm.
     "I see you're flirting with her. Do you always do that?" He asked.
     "I wasn't flirting with her. I was just messing around," I tried to remove his hand, but he was held on pretty tightly.
     "That's not what I saw"
     "Well it is what I saw, so please leave my friend alone," Damien removed Jake's hand from my arm. He scoffed and walked up next to Courtney. "You okay, dude?"
     "Yeah, I'm fine," I rubbed my arm and glared at him as he walked away.

Courtney
     "Hey, Courtney," Jake said, "I've been meaning to ask you. How would you feel about going on a date with me sometime?"
     "A date? Oh, I don't know. I mean, we didn't do too well when we dated before," I said
     "Yeah, but it's different now. We're both adults and not kids that were clueless about love"
     I looked back at Shayne who was talking to Damien. I can't go on a date. I don't want to ruin the chance I have of finally getting the chance to be with him.
     "Sorry, Jake. I'd love to, but my heart is set on someone else. I hope you understand"
     "I get it. No worries," he walked ahead. I could tell he was a little upset about it.

The Next Afternoon

Shayne
     We finished filming and it was now time to head home. Courtney and Jake had disappeared after we were done filming and I just went into the main room and sat alone.
     A little later, Courtney came in and grabbed a bag. She looked at me and cocked her head.
     "What are you doing over there alone?" She asked
     "Nothing, I'm just chilling. I thought you were out with your boyfriend somewhere," I said
     "What? Shayne, he's not my boyfriend. He's just a friend from middle school that I haven't seen in a while"
     "Well the way you guys have been acting around each other, it's not much of a surprise that someone would think so"
     "What are you talking about?"
     "I'm just saying, you guys act like you're a couple. It's just weird"
     "That's weird? Shayne, I've noticed that you've been acting weird lately. What's wrong?"
     "Okay, I have not been acting weird"
     "Yes you have. Ever since Jake came around, you've been acting all distant and like you hate him or something"
      "Maybe because I do, Courtney"
      "What? Why do you hate him?"
      "He just came barging in here and claiming that he was 'just walking around'. How do you know he wasn't stalking you?"
      "Shayne, that's ridiculous. Why the hell would he be stalking me?"
      "I don't know, maybe because he seems like the kind of guy who would do that?"
      "I don't see why you have such a problem with him. It's not like he's done anything to you"
      "How about the fact that he's an asshole? I've never met someone that I've wanted to punch so much in my life. You may not see it, but I have"
      "I get it. You're jealous"
      "Now why the hell would I be jealous of a guy like that? He's an enormous dick who just wants you for his own personal gain"
      "He's not like that!"
      "Courtney, you're talking about the guy that didn't give you a reaction in middle school, the one thing you wanted. Not to mention all the other shit he's done to mess with you. I've acted out these scenarios, Courtney. I know what happened"
       "Why can't you just be an actual friend? I found someone from middle school that I only viewed as a potential boyfriend and lover. Now he's just a friend. And he's been nice to me all this time. Can I not be happy?"
        "I never said you couldn't be happy. Yes, I know that you found a childhood friend and I'm happy for you, I really am, but this guy is not what he seems. He giving you the good guy act. He's not showing you who he really is!"
       "No, you just can't see who he really is. God, you're such an idiot! I'm out of here, I don't want to talk to you!"
       She stormed out of the office leaving me here. I fell back onto a beanbag chair and covered my face as I cried into my hands. I can't believe I yelled at her. It wasn't even worth it.

Courtney
     I slammed the office door and got into my car. I drove off and towards my apartment. I grabbed my phone, dialed the number, and put it to my ear.
     "Hello?" His voice came through.
     "Hey, Jake. Remember your date offer that I declined? Well, I changed my mind. I'm in"

Author's Note:
Uh oh, drama...what will happen next? Guess we'll see in the chapters to come...