Thirty

Courtney

     I can't tell you how long I had stayed in his room in these past weeks. I've talked to him even though he can't hear me, apologized at least a million times, and I've fallen asleep holding his hand.
     I've got 256 missed calls and texts from Jake. I don't want to answer him. Last time I did, it didn't go well.

3 weeks earlier (the day after Shayne's incident)

     I had gotten a call from him after I had gone home from the hospital. He seemed pissed.
     "Where were you? I was waiting for an hour and you didn't show up!" He said
     "I know I'm sorry. Something came up and I couldn't make it. I'm really sorry"
     "What was so important that you had to miss our date?"
     "Shayne...um, he.."
     "You missed our date for that idiot? How is he more important?"
     "Hey, he's not an idiot! He got hit by a car and had to be taken to the hospital. Of course it's more important"
     "He would have still been there after our date you know"
     "He could have not been though. It's better that I was there for him. Why are you acting like this?"
     "Because you're supposed to be mine, Courtney! Not that dumb ass guy!"
     "You better shut the fuck up right now. Shayne is not a dumb ass and he never has been. I was never yours and I never will be," I hung up and deleted his number. Shayne was right he was an asshole.

Now

     Yeah, so Jake is never going to be an issue anymore. I watched as Shayne laid on the hospital bed motionless. I grabbed his hand and held it tightly not wanting to let go. I hated seeing him like this. Seeing him so weak. It's the worst thing ever.

The Next Day

     I was back again in the hospital room. I don't think I ever want to leave again.
     "Shayne, I know you can't hear me, but I feel like I need to tell you this now. You're a very important person to me. I know I don't show it that much, but you really are. You're a very talented actor and super funny. That's not just it either, you're nice and you always help me whenever I truly need it. I think what I'm trying to say is, I love you, Shayne. So damn much"
     He didn't move. I so badly wanted him to say something, but he can't. Suddenly, the slow moderate beeping started to speed up.
     "No. Oh god no!"
     He's dying...