Black Egrets/The Truth About That One Medici...

"It should be done by now. Why is it taking so long?" Vitale grimaced. Most of the Medici family and their bodyguards were busy awaiting the end of Columbus' procedure on Lorenzo.

The daughter was standing by the door. It seemed as though she was the only wall that the others had to deal with if their leader ended up dead. Black Dahlia was eying potential weaknesses as Vitale and a few others had simply paced, smoked, or some combination. Hours. Hours of Lorenzo being worked on with unseen methods.

"The Infinite Engine is meant to be properly attached to the heart in order to-"

"I know the sales pitch kid. It just seems like stalling to me,"

"Would you rather be the one to make the incisions then? It'd be completely irresponsible of you,"

"Sonuva-" Vitale was stopped by Reno. He was the third child, Vitale and Marcus' brother. Despite being the youngest, he managed to hold the fort well when Lorenzo lost the life gem.

"Big bro, don't. We have to trust in our father's decision,"

"But..."

"I know. These fucks are not exactly trustworthy, but that's the business we run," Reno held his arm. Despite being skinnier, he did make up for in being toned. Lately, he had been slacking since he was forced to do desk duty.

His bodyguard, a tiny Dagonian calling itself Tom in the Ottomo mech stood close by.

"Yeah. I know about that Reno. But this is bigger. He's not just our dad. He's the don, the head. If he dies, there's gonna' be a reckoning for all of us. He built his reputation by being invincible, even survived the Skullgirl, our 'queen'. And being dead means a vacuum. And we all know what happens in a vacuum," Vitale groaned, glaring at the cloaked child.

"I get it...damn, it'd be easier if Marcus were still with us. Hm?" Reno looked over to the masked assassin.

Black Dahlia was listening to something on her comms. It was clear that it was important news.

"Dahlia? You got something from the boys?"

"It seems the Skullgirl Marie is attacking downtown," That surprised the family members present. They assumed she'd strike here, especially with the family all in one place.

Yet none of them had a chance to try any orders or start anything. The door opened, Columbus with a satisfied smirk under his mask. The sight of blood, Medici blood all over his outfit.

"...operation was successful," Columbus stated, proudly motioning behind him.

It was definitely a sight to behold.

***

Ruined Streets...

Stabbing an undead with a spear, I took my steps to get closer to the girls. Big Band as his code name entailed was unfortunately a big target, but at the very least he wasn't a pushover.

There was still thoughts swimming in my head. What Carol said about Filia is concerning. That this Skullgirl was attacking Filia due to her family being the Medici. It wasn't a good look, to have the mark of a devil be the family name.

Carol clearly knew more about Filia than Filia herself could recall. It held weight. Yet...some part of me hoped that wasn't the case. If that were true, it'd complicate things. Being related to a crime family means that there would be people looking for her. Hired help akin to that Cerebella.

Yet the real cost wouldn't be what happened on the outside. Internally, that could spell disaster on Filia's state. She is currently living in ignorance of the past, knowing only that Carol is a friend, a Skullgirl is a creature known to rampage, and that the Mafia is bad. How would that affect her? It's probably what Carol worried about too.