Carol's Wish...

The Next Morning

"You've been very...insistent," It was a simple thing to ask. But Filia, she had a way of turning a single question into a mission.

Ever since the battle, while still ongoing, was the opportunity that young Filia had decided would be used to catch up on her friendship with Caroline. The fact the news had already started to look into that fight meant we didn't necessarily have a hand in what could occur. A poor use of time from my perspective.

It concerned the Princess especially, as we stayed in her personal mansion. Given the amount of work required to address tracking quite possibly a very long fight across the North American continent, there was an extension of Black Egrets on duty. Unfortunately I wasn't officially apart of a joint intelligence so my hands were tied in a bureaucratic void. If only the Chess Kingdom could spare a moment to aid in this unprecedented maneuver by one of the most existential threats to humanity. How the King and Queen have yet to even send a small squadron doesn't have a decent answer.

"We'll...try and keep it quick. I know that you are busy and there's a lot that the Egrets and the Labs are doing right now...not to mention things about my past..." Filia quietly shook her head at those thoughts. Funnily enough, Sampson didn't make any remarks.

"...I don't know if Carol is willing to just...roam around on the public stage just yet," I told her. Sure, the shapes of people here in this city are varied. But to those who don't know her as the girl Carol and see only the monster Painwheel...there isn't much room for nuance in a judgmental world.

Filia didn't seem to take that as an answer. Pouting, she took a few steps past me to see her dear friend. I guess she already decided it would happen with or without my involvement. Ah, solitude.

In this quaint guest room of mine, it did remind me of the garish estates that I would attend back in basic training. A Pawn often had two faces that had to be attended to at all times. The manners required to civilians and the cold mentality of a soldier to our enemies. Yet...there wasn't much of a clear goal in mind. I couldn't dream of being cold to anyone as friendly as these girls have been so far, yet to abandon reality to pursue a quest as simple as a hangout.

There was questions that I couldn't have answered to, no real safety net to begin settling down, no confirmation of what the future would hold. How could I with good conscious devolve to such frivolity when there was a responsibility to adhere to? Lorenzo Medici still held some sway here in the Canopy Kingdom. His subordinates could easily control the vacuum left if he was to perish. And even the question of what that means for us in terms of the Skullgirl.

There was also the factor of Lab Zero and Brain Drain's own devices...this would be problematic in keeping them safe. They'd want their prized possession back; a powerful ASG was worth too much time and effort to leave alone.

"Mon du...there is no way that this'll be resolved properly. How am I supposed to move forward?"

"Start by getting out of this room?" I looked up. It was slightly terrifying at first, but I soon realized who was speaking. Squiggly.

Amazingly, Parasoul did allow for her to be an independent entity in the mansion. Well as independent as an undead could be..Percival sensed about several armed guards hidden around the hallway just close enough to be aware of where the Contiello girl was approaching. A safety measure I suppose.

She was there standing at the open door, with Leviathan also aware of the presence of others; there was a clear sign of annoyance on his maw.

"Oh? Miss Contiello?"

"Hey. It's Squigly remember? You don't have to be so perfect in your manners?"

"I- Oh...yes. Squigly. It's a habit,"