Medici's Golden Age/New Meridian's Dark Age

A Week Later...

Lorenzo Medici was victorious in this endeavor. He was...the winner. The one to bring down Skullgirl Marie. And yet I knew for a fact she still lived, Squigly proof enough. Enslaved once more by the man that provided such a terrible existence. And the news devoured such things. The "Hero" of New Meridian, being celebrated as a beacon of hope...disgusting.

That was the reality we found ourselves in. Every moment afterwards I wished was simply a dream. With him returning to the limelight almost as easily as he had exited.

Nothing Parasoul herself could offer up could change the situation either. Her family was already an unpopular element even within her own country, so the thought of challenging the boss was political suicide at best.

As for us? That run in with Black Dahlia was certainly an eventful escapade. One that would see us in a strange state of defeat. I could understand wins and losses; I've experienced such as a soldier. We survived. Yet the outcome...

That was the nature of where I was. Deep within the confines of a Black Egret site awaiting what little intel in this makeshift war-room. The blinking lights of old machines, the stirring of agents making calls to their field operatives. I was experiencing what would have been thought impossible, a foreign adversary in the beating heart of a spy network.  Though...I clearly wasn't the priority.

"Lorenzo is already getting ready for a press conference at the casino. Guess a calculation based on his public fight,"

"Hm. And the ASG? Peacock?"

"Tired. But still furious. Doctor Avian says he's updating the Z-ray output just in case she...does something stupid. His words,"

"Pretty amazing she was able to keep up at all. If she can learn to control herself and actually employ some brains...that girl would be unstoppable,"

"Doubtful either of those is a thing Peacock wishes to pursue. So the Z-ray update is going to be the plan instead,"

"Damn...I need a minute. Adam, get a pot of coffee going. I bet the news is going to have a ratings boost seeing their 'beloved hero' back in the spotlight..." Given how much she's dealing with, I don't doubt she'd forego sleep.

Not that I was innocent of that fact. It became clearer to me that I couldn't simply rest after that incident.

***

Barely anyone paid attention during the daily commute as their gaze stayed within the glass windows that held television sets. All set to play out a special announcement this afternoon.  I myself chose to enter these streets. Even now I couldn't escape the events of last week.

There I was trying to blend in to the civilian populace. Trying to figure my next steps. All while the infallible truth stared back; our dear hero.

"We finally have word on Lorenzo Medici. For those not in the loop, Lorenzo Medici was a local philanthropist of the Medici family that has spent a majority of time out of the public spotlight for unknown reasons. Only recently have locals had speculated that he was the one battling the Skullgirl across the globe. Several hours of his presence being recorded by multiple governments," Some of this disclosed footage was familiar to me. Seeing the three lights clash across the beaches a disturbing notion.

There was the Chess Kingdom, the coasts of Normandy. I trained there as a part of a sort of boot camp as they call it. All the way there too? Would the knights actually be called in for once? Perhaps. Though it ultimately depends on their will to involve themselves with the Canopy Kingdom.

"Our team is currently at the scene of the Medici Tower awaiting the announcement from the long reclusive heart of our city. Security is already tight as for many this is the first time such an occasion has happened in over a year of silence-"