8 - A Hasty Decision

The muffled sound of the ship's thrusters echoed through the wooden walls of the cabin. A well-needed rest was what the seven ninja decided to have during their long perilous expedition - they needed as much energy as they can to prepare themselves for whatever they may bump into on that ship. The quiet humming of Zane's inactive circuitry filled the cabin, along with the faint video-game music emerging from Jay's side of the room. Other than that, it was a quiet night; maybe their last quiet night before the worst comes. 

In the midst of the tranquillity, Jupiter cautiously hopped off her bed, making little noise. As she slipped out the cabin's doors like a shadow, she snatched the Sky Jewel off the table and took it with her. Outside, a cool breeze swept the Bounty's deck; distant and hazy stars were scattered across the dark canvas above and a full moon shone from afar. 

The Destiny's Bounty was still in autopilot, following the GPS coordinates; according to the computer, they were almost in the mothership's range. Jupiter inspected the dim screen carefully, before nodding to herself in an affirmative manner. Whatever she was about to do was undeniably stupid, but with what she knew about the situation, it was a slightly better shot. 

The lilac ninja delicately hid the jewel in her boot, where she knew it won't fall out - if she was going to face Sigma by herself, she'd need it on her person, just in case. She adjusted her shoulder-strap and pushed her staff into the case on her back. Her feet stepped onto the deck's ledge as she felt the icy wind attack her body - just as she pulled her mask over her face, a concerned voice bellowed from behind the bridge.

"Where are you going!?" The green ninja interrogated. He examined the situation here and soon shook his head in a very disapproved way. "No, no, no, don't tell me you're going there yourself."

"I have to - there's a better chance of me going than all of us." Jupiter argued back. 

"But Jupiter, jumping off the Bounty to go fight some villain is not a good idea. Trust me, I've done it before;" Lloyd returned, edging his way closer to the lilac ninja. She scoffed and dismissed his comment.

"I'm not 'jumping off the Bounty' - I'm gonna fly my elemental dragon over to her ship and talk to her. If it's stardust she wants, then what better source than myself. After that, they'll leave Ninjago alone and--"

"You're sacrificing yourself? You don't have to do that - we already have a plan--"

"A plan that won't work! We don't know half of what she's capable of doing! I already said, one person has a better chance than seven. Besides, I already know - my powers did come from her, so it makes sense to me that I go there and talk to her," Jupiter sighed and turned her back to him, but Lloyd abruptly grabbed the staff from her weapon-holder and took a step back. 

"I'm not letting you go there on your own - we just saved you from that jewel's corruption, remember? We're not losing you again!" He fought, grasping the staff tightly. Jupiter leapt down onto the deck and snatched the other side of the staff. 

"Give me my staff, Lloyd." 

"No - We're a team!" He disputed, pulling the staff again

"No - We're a team!" He disputed, pulling the staff again. "Ninjago's counting on all of us! You can't go off on your own! She'll exploit your powers!" 

"But at least Ninjago will be safe!" She returned bitterly. 

"And you might not!" Lloyd challenged again. He did anything he could to stop Jupiter from immolating herself, but she was as stern as a stone. She fought to retrieve her favourite weapon but it was only until Lloyd exerted a brute force on the staff; combined with his elemental power, he caused it to unbelievably break in half. 

A breath of shock escaped her mouth. Jupiter let go of the half she was grasping and let it fall to the wooden floor. She didn't lift her eyes to look at the green ninja. Lloyd was silent as he kept hold of the other half. The lilac ninja sighed heavily and irritably turned away from him. 

Without a second thought or word, Jupiter jumped up to the ledge and released a dense collection of stardust from her hands, forming a large lilac dragon that hovered by the side of the ship. She leapt onto its back and flew away from the Bounty by herself.